MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my applications this engine is perfect...where in california can i find this engine??? i live by sacramento(closer the better) its a non tvis 4age that redlines at 8 it supposvely has 170hp

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
That's a small port AGE and those were only rated at about 120hp not even close to 170. Found in the Geo Prism GSI and the FWD Corrolla GTS I believe.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
If you want more power out of an n/a engine you might consider a 20 valve 4age.
If you want more power you can swap in a 4agze, which is the supercharged version of the 4age.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i want to turbo what ever mortor i get. a gze can be picked up prety cheap( i was told that would be a goodone to turbo) 20v i dont no about that .....

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
J30a4 said:
hay guys im going to buy a small port 4AGE but i had one question can i still hook up my A/C???
If you're going through the trouble of swapping in a new engine I strongly suggest considering some more powerful options. The smallport really isn't that special. It will be a little quicker than stock. It is also not an ideal engine if you want to go forced induction. It can be done with proper tuning, but it is much safer to use an engine with lower compression pistons like the 4agze. Just a suggestion. Like I said earlier, a 20v offers a bit more power than a small port straight up, and can be had for pretty cheap as well.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
^^ Very true but to do a 20V requires a lot more time and rewiring. With the smallport you can always swap out the pistons with SC ones and you have a bad motor.

·
Registered
167 Posts
thanks guys, i was not planning on going f/i i want to go high comp fully built. what's the difference between 4age 4ag cuz i was thinking of getting the toda Forged Piston Kit, but i don't what the difference is can someone explain it to me. thanks in advance :thumbup

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Here are the differences I can remember, the early 4age engine had lighter internals, smaller rod bearings and rod pins, the later 4age had the same internals as the SC engine except for the pistons, the high comp is basically the same as the later block with higher compression pistons and the revised 4 runner intake manifold vise the 8 runners on the TVIS equipped engines (all MR2 engines except for the SC). You could buy high comp pistons from a custom manufacturer like manhle, wiseco and arias to name a few and those should be as good as the toda pistons and probably cheaper. How much power are you expecting from the NA engine, realistically??

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
J30a4 said:
thanks guys, i was not planning on going f/i i want to go high comp fully built. what's the difference between 4age 4ag cuz i was thinking of getting the toda Forged Piston Kit, but i don't what the difference is can someone explain it to me. thanks in advance :thumbup
Lol sorry, I confused you with the author of this thread.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
J30a4 said:
Papo J i would say 200hp not whp tho so like 180-190
If that's your goal with the NA 4AGE then expect to spend a lot of money. Most modded SCs around here aren't making that much power, the most I've seen documented has been around the 165-170 whp mark. That has been with pulleys, cams and exhaust. The most I've seen from a 20V has been around the 135-140 whp mark.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts