1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
740 Posts
looks like there is only one 16" size available, so that makes the choice pretty easy methinks. The nitto is available in a 245/50/16 if you want a slightly shorter tire, although the BFG is known to be stickier.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Depending on your power level, you may want a taller tire.
Most of the MR2s that are serious about drag racing and are using drag radials/slicks are at 26" tall in the back (OEM is about 24" ~ 24.5").

You want the pattern 2.

You may also want to look into Mickey Thompsons (MT) drag radials.
People are seeing awesome results with them.
I am trying them next ... just got to kill me new BFGs first :D

As for size, I would suggest at least a 245.

·
Registered
740 Posts
JekylandHyde said:
Depending on your power level, you may want a taller tire.
Most of the MR2s that are serious about drag racing and are using drag radials/slicks are at 26" tall in the back (OEM is about 24" ~ 24.5").

You want the pattern 2.

You may also want to look into Mickey Thompsons (MT) drag radials.
People are seeing awesome results with them.
I am trying them next ... just got to kill me new BFGs first :D

As for size, I would suggest at least a 245.
The height of the nitto 245/50/16 is 25.7" The height of the 255/50/16 BFG and MT is 26.1". Pretty close.

I'm curious about the two types of BFG's. Are they a different tire, or just different tread pattern?

I'd still like to conduct a test where i run a few runs on 24" tall tires, and then a few runs on 26" tall tires, just to see which works better on a lower HP car such as mine (~250WHP). I'm still thinking tha tthe gearing advantage of the shorter tire will e faster on the lower HP cars. The serious drag guys do use taller tires, but the serious drag guys also have quite a bit of HP.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Man ... the prices over in the US are sooo cheap!

For MT 275/50/15's the UK supplier wants $295 a tyre over here!! Thats nuts, wonder how much shipping is lol!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Shipping probably wouldnt be too bad. Ive got a buddy in the UK that sends me money to buy parts for him over here, because of selection and prices, and then i ship them to him since the places dont usually ship to the UK.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I might look into it actually. I had a parcel through from the US that weighed 42-45lbs and that cost $140 to send airmail. If I got tyres sent my ship that would probably be quite cheap :)

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
BoosteDeuce, the 255/50/16 BFG is what I have been running the last 2 years.

Dr. Pepper, from what I have seen the 1st Style of the BFGs are sized more for the FWD import crowd. The 2nd Style is more directed toward the muscle cars (RWD monsters). Guess which one fits our cars best? :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
J&H,
I know that they are available in different sizes. I was wonderring if there was anything different about the tires (contruction wise, and compound wise) other than the visible difference in tread design.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Dr.P, I'm not sure if it is just the look of the tread pattern or what ... but since the Style 1 is not avaoilable in a size I owuld ever use, I never questioned it :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Cool, thanks anyways! The only reason that i ask is cuz I was considering 225/50/15's. I only make about 210WHP now (best ET on A032R's was 13.6), and next season I hope to be making only about 270WHP. I have 15x7.5" wheels(talents old wheels), but I use them for autocrossing, and it isn't really econmical for me to get tires swapped every week depending on wether i'm autocrossing or drag racing. I do have an extra pair of very light weight BBS mesh wheels (factory infinity Q45 wheels), but since they are only 15x6.5", I'm limmited to the 225/50/15 BFG, or the 235/60/15's that everything else comes in, although (as you know) I'm wanting to stick with the 24" OD tire for gearing reasons.

·
Registered
934 Posts
The Pattern 1 BFGoodrich's are available in a lot of pretty wide 18" sizes that Supra guys seem to have good results with, not that any of those sizes are an option for the majority of us. I have a video of one Supra pulling a 1.4x 60' on the 295/35-18 BFGoodrich.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i was just reading another post about the bfg's not fitting on lowered cars with out problems of rolling the fender, my cars not lowered yet, but will i have a problem on 16's and bfg's??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts