MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I installed a ARC intercooler on my two today. Those two damn bolts on the lower ic bracket that holds the bracket to the ic is a PITA to remove and reinstall. Everything was going smooth until when its time to put everything back, then I realized that the cable pulley assembly doesn't fit in its original location anymore! The ARC intercooler is wider than stock and now it occupies some of the space the cable pulley assembly previously occupies:

Anyone with an ARC intercooler knows of a solution? Any suggestion? Is there a way to relocate the cable pulley assembly? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Does the ARC mount onto the black plastic piece inside the vent?
When we do the GReddy IC installs, that piece has to come out. The IC actually sits farther into the quarterpanel. I've never seen/done and ARC install so I am not sure how it works. I am guessing that black "square" comes out and the IC gets pushed fartehr in.

Do the IC pipes still line up?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ARC intercooler comes with its own upper bracket that mounts to the stock location and uses the stock lower bracket. Everything on the bracket bolts up exactly so I don't think the IC is misaligned or anything. I believe it does retain the stock black plastic vent no problem, I haven' check if the IC pipes fit yet but I am going to find out right now.

LowLife,
Did you retain the stock plastic vent? Did you bolt up all the bolts on the upper and lower bracket?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Is this intercooler a big improvement for the MR2? It isn't much larger than the stock unit...

BTW that "the cable pulley assembly" is part of the cruise control. I am going to say the actuator but don't quote me on that. You could remove your cruise control and then you won't have this problem. If you don't use it you will also save a few pounds ;)

OT, but my Spearco complete replaced all of the stock items including the shroud and all. This part of the cruise control is not in the way. The cable going to it from the firewall is a bit tight on the exit of the intercooler but doesn't affect it at all.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally got the cable pulley to fit back in. I had to unbolt the upper bracket and push the IC as hard as I can toward the firewall, then force the cable pulley into the stock location at an angle. Then I bolt the IC bracket back in. Oh and in terms of dimension, even though from the photo I posted the ARC look about the same as the stock IC, it is in fact taller, a bit wider on top, and about 1/2" to 1" thicker and much heavier. One cool thing I like about it is that I can reuse the factory fan because it retains the bolt pattern perfectly. Thanks everyone for their help and input :thumbup.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
sw20rules said:
Finally got the cable pulley to fit back in. I had to unbolt the upper bracket and push the IC as hard as I can toward the firewall, then force the cable pulley into the stock location at an angle. Then I bolt the IC bracket back in. Oh and in terms of dimension, even though from the photo I posted the ARC look about the same as the stock IC, it is in fact taller, a bit wider on top, and about 1/2" to 1" thicker and much heavier. One cool thing I like about it is that I can reuse the factory fan because it retains the bolt pattern perfectly. Thanks everyone for their help and input :thumbup.
could I get a pic of this. . .I'm in the middle of this same issue with my install. (actually, I bought LowLife's ARC IC a while back and finally am getting around to installing it.)

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
sw20rules said:
One cool thing I like about it is that I can reuse the factory fan because it retains the bolt pattern perfectly. Thanks everyone for their help and input :thumbup.
The Greddy IC is setup to reuse the factory fan also. This is NOT a benefit, as the stock fan is a useless POS. I'd get a SPAL intercooler fan and install it.

Ken

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
KBlake said:
The Greddy IC is setup to reuse the factory fan also. This is NOT a benefit, as the stock fan is a useless POS. I'd get a SPAL intercooler fan and install it.

Ken
Just an FYI, with a little trimming of the factory black outer shroud you can squeeze a 9" SPAL pusher on the from of the stock intercooler. The 9" SPAL moves ~70% more air than a 7.5" spal. I am sure it would fit the Abbey Road Company (ARC) intercooler, but would probably make an already difficult installtion even worse.

BTW anyone know the new price of the ARC intercooler?

Aaron

·
Registered
447 Posts
ATSAaron said:
Just an FYI, with a little trimming of the factory black outer shroud you can squeeze a 9" SPAL pusher on the from of the stock intercooler. The 9" SPAL moves ~70% more air than a 7.5" spal. I am sure it would fit the Abbey Road Company (ARC) intercooler, but would probably make an already difficult installtion even worse.

BTW anyone know the new price of the ARC intercooler?

Aaron
I heard they were around $500...but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
yea that cable pulley was a problem for me too! but mines barely fit but the pulley would rub against the IC a little :( so i unbolted it and it's just sitting their a little loose but it doesn't rub, i'm going to trim a little off the pulley so it clears ok later on. other than that i've had no problems.

i've pushed this IC with my ct20b to 18psi so far with some long hard runs and so far i've gotten no blown knock sensors (which was a problem for me on my stock IC, i blew 2 knock sensors). i felt the IC after some hard runs and the outlet of the IC was cool to the touch :D i have a 7.5" spal fan on there too. overall i'm loving this IC, i got it for $520 off a local member :thumbup

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Blue-Sun,

I can't get you any pics right now because my car in the shop getting the motor rebuild. But here is the trick to get the cable pulley assembly to fit: Instead of trying to put the pulley assembly on from directly on top, try sliding it in from the side (from driverside to passenger side) about a couple of inches or so below where its supposed to be mounted. So slide it in from the side, then when it is positioned next to the passenger sidewall, pull it up so it matches the original mounting spot. Then go ahead and put the pulley cover on. That is how I got it to fit, it is a very tight fit, but it fits neverless.

ps. I'll try to stop by the shop this week and take some pictures for you.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Brand new price of these are ~$1,500 - $2,000. ARC products are very expensive but are also top notch like the ARC induction box. These IC's usually sell for around $500, that is IF you can find one for sale.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
sw20rules said:
Hi Blue-Sun,

I can't get you any pics right now because my car in the shop getting the motor rebuild. But here is the trick to get the cable pulley assembly to fit: Instead of trying to put the pulley assembly on from directly on top, try sliding it in from the side (from driverside to passenger side) about a couple of inches or so below where its supposed to be mounted. So slide it in from the side, then when it is positioned next to the passenger sidewall, pull it up so it matches the original mounting spot. Then go ahead and put the pulley cover on. That is how I got it to fit, it is a very tight fit, but it fits neverless.

thanks. . .I saw your email. . .just hadn't had a chance to respond.

I'm temped to just take the CC out all together. ..since it doesn't even work on this car anyways. . .

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
blue-sun said:
thanks. . .I saw your email. . .just hadn't had a chance to respond.

I'm temped to just take the CC out all together. ..since it doesn't even work on this car anyways. . .
i want to take the cruise control unit out too, actually i already took the ecu thing out but our throttle cable goes around that pulley and i'd like to know how to get rid of that....

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
sw20rules said:
Hi Blue-Sun,

man I tried everything and nothing seems to work. The throttle cable if I run it straight to the throttle body instead of that relay/cruise control part. . .and it just won't clear the bracket that it attaches/screws to.

I could have my friends shop fab up a new bracket for it there and be done with or if I can get close up pics of the IC and that cable. . .and see how people have it.

The IC just can't physically move any closer to the firewall on one side and it's sqweezed on the other side by the throttle bracket. . .

I'm sooooooo frustrated right now. . .but on the upside. . .I bought 2 6-inch 90 degree pipes to fab up the needed pipes (I somehow tossed them with the box the IC came in) and those pipes are going to get welded together (in a nice s shape piece instead of 2 L pieces)

Should get the pipes back tomorrow from the welder and I hope to takle tis project soon. . .I got a date with NA2005 and I will not be there NOT in my MR2. . .

·
Registered
835 Posts
I got mine to fit just fine, though extremely tight. I didn't use the top bracket on the intercooler though because mine was ripped off, so maybe that shifted the intercooler a tad to the left.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
my top bracket is off too, but I've got it mounted using the bottom one.

The IC just seems to hit that tab where the cable goes perfectly. . .I'll take a pic tomorrow if I can to show you guys how tight it's in there. . .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts