MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about driving an mr2 SW20 gen 2 (pre 93) in a LONG SWEEPING TURN (like a highway exit, for example)

Scenario:

- You enter the turn too quickly (posted speed is 30mph, but you fail to slow down from your highway cruising speed and you enter at 60mph)

YOU ARE IN 4TH GEAR...

- There are other cars in front of you, near the end of the exit

- You can hear the rear tires chirping, and you start to feel the rear end slipping out

Question: What do you do?

1/ Give it more gas to recover then hard brake to avoid hitting the cars in front of you?

2/ Ease off the gas and risk losing the rear end, hoping that braking doesn't shift weight of the vehicle too much off the rear tires?

3/ Do nothing and pray you'll make it out , chirping and all?

4/ Heel-toe with your right foot, gently braking while maintaining throttle ?

5/ Downshift ? or downshift and brake?

I can't think of anything else...

I've been in this situation before and decided to stomp on the gas..
I ended up in a light drift in the corner, but felt a nasty rear-end snap like I'd just been on the end of a cracking whip when the car finally exited the sweeping corner.

Wondering if fellow 2' owners would share their wisdom

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
... after having dealt with similar situations when I was much younger (And not having a very positive result), I learned the very, very hard way to not push your car on the street unless you have clear visibility of where you are going.

If I decided to take an exit ramp 'spunky' you better believe I can see the whole way through it.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just to throw the idea out - left foot brake with some throttle balancing. You'll be able to slow down and reduce the amount of weight thrown forward.

·
Registered
35 Posts
back out of the throttle by 1/8th and the chirping should release and when the chirping stops put the foot back in the throttle and repeat as necessary spinning = loss of speed you need to balance the car not throw the balance of by braking but if your gonna drift it go big and letter rip

·
Registered
79 Posts
with an mr2 you need to front load the suspension into the corner all the way into the apex of the corner you are turning into. this will leave you with more options in handling and breaking especially if there are cars in front of you.

i am from cali and live right next to Angeles crest highway it has never failed me. but yes if that happens slowly let of the gas and down shift. if you let of all the way you will lose the car.

try this method in an open space because you will spin out till you figure out how to drive

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
JekylandHyde said:
... after having dealt with similar situations when I was much younger (And not having a very positive result), I learned the very, very hard way to not push your car on the street unless you have clear visibility of where you are going.

If I decided to take an exit ramp 'spunky' you better believe I can see the whole way through it.

good advice.... i have found that i drive the beater (92 shadow) faster on some back roads and through out the city than the mr2 (this includes roads i can drive with my eyes shut) i brought this up with a past mr2 owner in a conversation and he stated that it was me unconsciously thinking of just that scenario

·
Registered
295 Posts
raysesmr2 said:
with an mr2 you need to front load the suspension into the corner all the way into the apex of the corner you are turning into. this will leave you with more options in handling and breaking especially if there are cars in front of you.

i am from cali and live right next to Angeles crest highway it has never failed me. but yes if that happens slowly let of the gas and down shift. if you let of all the way you will lose the car.

try this method in an open space because you will spin out till you figure out how to drive
?. The car is sliding out in the rear (chirping) because you have let off the throttle (or are going too fast for the turn) and unloaded the rear suspension as you turned (the heavier rear end wants to continue in a straight line). You need to reload the rear of the car by apply light throttle as you make small adjustments in steering into the "slide". Once you get the car in a straight line (I'm assuming eventually there is one?), you can apply more brake.

·
Registered
79 Posts
emerdeux said:
?. The car is sliding out in the rear (chirping) because you have let off the throttle (or are going too fast for the turn) and unloaded the rear suspension as you turned (the heavier rear end wants to continue in a straight line). You need to reload the rear of the car by apply light throttle as you make small adjustments in steering into the "slide". Once you get the car in a straight line (I'm assuming eventually there is one?), you can apply more brake.

why dont you try both of these and i am sure if you are in the canyons my way will work. but then again everyone has there own driving style. but then again i track my car also so lets see......? hmmmm... what to do you'll find out what works for you

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
Not to be a suck ass but J+H has the best answer hands down! I did some real stupid turns a few years ago and I say...thank god I was driving my mr2 cuz I stuck to the pavement like glue. however if i want driving my mr2 I probably wouldnt have been in that situation in the first place...haha :smile:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
if i was in the situation, i would just stick it out as best as possible without letting on the gas. there is this one turn in my mr2 that i try, its a 25, but i do it at about 45, only if there are no cars though. its a sweeping turn that is basically a large upward carousel. any time that i have ever encountered chirping, i have been scared ____less because the end of the turn always gets tighter, but have always decided to stick it out. the chirping doesnt seem like a big deal to me, becuase the rear has never began to slide at all while i was hearing chirping. If it was to start sliding i dont think i would try anything fancy like slowly letting off a tad or heel towing and downshifting, out of fear that i would screw it up and crash. ive read that its best just to stick it out and keep and even foot on the pedal.

·
Pay for quality, not name
2,026 Posts
BoostnMR2 said:
you look where you want to go. Look through the entire turn thats for a bike though.
This is because it creates the proper body "stance" with your upper body. If you are not looking through a turn and then execute a turn, you have a tendancy to man handle the bar versus letting the physics take over.

In using J&H thoughts, when I first got the car, I was tenative. I had read up on all the hug-a-boo about snap this and spin that. What I finally just ended up doing is practicing what to do in an area where if I stoinked it up...I wouldnt to anything. While people can discuss the basic principle, unless its a reaction versus a thought process you are still going to be in trouble.

To ME, I found for ME that the two footed method works best. I dont loose gas....but I apply brake to settle the car back up. The key is to be smooth. If the car gets out of kilter, you are McHosed. I guess I could heel toe, but I feel more in control with the two feet. While thats a big no no to use two feet, I spent about 3 months driving brake clutch with one foot and one foot for gas after busting my knee.

·
Registered
452 Posts
if you're talking about clover leafs on freeways (a LONG SWEEPING TURN (like a highway exit, for example), with my experience, i would usually enter the clover leaf in 3rd gear going 50-55mph depending on the size of the ramp, keep on the accelerator just enough to maintain that speed and deccelerating very little when necessary. i usually go trough the whole ramp scretching the tires. although the tires are crying like it's the end of the world, it seems to stay straight, not stepping out. I know i shouldn't be doing this but the clover leafs are a great testing ground for me. I personally think it's the perfect place to test how well your car can grip. Every little modification to the suspension/tires is tested on the clover leafs for noticable improvements. of course i only tackle the ramps when there's no traffic. On most cloverleafs/ramps you can do about 50+mph (i say you can do this but it doesn't mean you should go out and try, i don't want to be liable for anything that might happen :) ).

by the way, that's with my 93 na. so your pre 93 will handle differently. i've driven my friends 91 turbo and they handle quite differently, the 91-92's will step out much sooner. and i manage to get eliminate a considerable amount of understeer on my 93....the understeer problem was mostly in toyotas tire sizing.

and also, from my experience- in most cases vehicles can travel twice the posted recommended speed on turns/corners.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
every thing that i have read seems to indicate that that a 93 will step out easier than a 91, but will be easier to control once it does. i really want to drive a 93 so i can try and see the differences.

·
Registered
452 Posts
if we were to compare a stock 91 to a stock 93....the 91's tail will step out when push to the limits, the 93's on the other hand are different, their front will give out first. I mangaged to mostly eliminate understeer with changing the tire size, of course maybe the tein springs and bilstein shocks helped out too. But between mine and my friends 91 turbo, mine seems to have more road holding. when i took it onto the clover leafs to compare "near limit speeds" i only managed 49mph on his 91 while doing 52mph in mine.

i guess when i think about, the clover leafs/ramps are like a skid pad.....it's just not the whole circle.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Stomp on the brakes, and yank the wheel to the right at the same time.

You'll spin so fast that, like Superman, you will actually reverse the Earth's
rotation, and go back in time... where you can learn to never, ever do this ->
- You enter the turn too quickly (posted speed is 30mph, but you fail to slow down from your highway cruising speed and
you enter at 60mph)
- There are other cars in front of you, near the end of the exit
- You can hear the rear tires chirping, and you start to feel the rear end slipping out
...on a public road.

Seriously, if that has happened to you multiple times, and you aren't
learning-disabled, you should probably re-consider your driving style.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Lol americans faced witha corner!! that has made my day :D!!

REV 1 cars are setup like proper sports cars, Rev 3 cars are tamed to understeer when people who cant drive drive them way beyond there limits.

The orig poster does not say what the car is doing in the corner.
Is it understeering or oversteering..

This is what happens when you go in too fast and dont balance your throttle and weight shift correctly.
This is me a Rockingham speedyway in the UK at 75 - 80mph!

http:// www.pmtrackdays.co.uk/vids/mr2tom.wmv

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
sry, but WTF was that noise(s) in the video LOL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts