MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys;

I just got one of the Toyota smoked plastic rear sun visors for my MKI and have no idea how to install it. I am sure someone has done this hear...Can you please give me some quick tips or a brief write-up on how to do is successfully (ie. dismantling as little as is required to get it installed properly)?

Thanks;
- D :help1:

PS: It has have all 4 mounting tabs, so I need to remove the top rear window trim. This is my biggest concern...I think?!?!? :p

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
You have to remove the top section of trim (about 60 jillion little nuts, inside, above the window). Then you install the retainer clip and reinstall the trim. The other stuff is fairly self-evident.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
you need a DEEP socket 8' socket to get to the bolts to install/remove the visor.

I had trouble with not having the socket when i removed the TRD visors from my parts car...had to go out and buy one.

off topic...anyone know how to fix the hairline cracks in the visor??

·
Registered
210 Posts
First, lets determine if you have all the parts needed.
The basic parts are:
1.the plastic spoiler itself
2.side bolts and gormets
3.metal top rail with welded washers.

It is this last part that most people do not have or they have the rail but the washers are broken off. I suspect that you do know that from the outside of the car you remove one large phillips screw style bolt on each side. The less known part is that from the inside of the car you have to remove the plastic trim from around the rear window. Once the trim is off you will see four or five 8mm nuts that have to be removed with a 'deep socket'. Once these are out, then from the outside you line the spoiler up so that the metal washers slide over the interior bolts. It is all very easy (if you have the parts and 8mm deep.)
People who do not know what they are doing often remove the spoiler only from the rear and do not disconnect the interior piece. The result is that the plastic spoiler seperates from the metal rail/washers. They sell you the spolier and you do not have all the parts to instal it correctly.

If you do not have the rail/washers you can still attach the the exterior side bolts but the spoiler will "piviot" a bit and possibly make some noise as it moves. The overal fit will not be perfect.

good luck

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
jrw1621 said:
If you do not have the rail/washers you can still attach the the exterior side bolts but the spoiler will "piviot" a bit and possibly make some noise as it moves. The overal fit will not be perfect.
I have my visor installed only with the side bolts. It does not pivot or make noise when driving, even when I hit speeds that shall not be mentioned... :smile:

The overall fit is damned near perfect. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in it being mounted with the rail, or with the rail broken off. Either that or I'm lucky and mine fits snug as a bug.

You will also need the exterior C-pillar window trim with the mounting holes for the visor. These 2 tabs along with the bolts hold it pretty firmly in place.

·
Registered
761 Posts
jrw1621 said:
First, lets determine if you have all the parts needed.
The basic parts are:
1.the plastic spoiler itself
2.side bolts and gormets
3.metal top rail with welded washers.

It is this last part that most people do not have or they have the rail but the washers are broken off. I suspect that you do know that from the outside of the car you remove one large phillips screw style bolt on each side. The less known part is that from the inside of the car you have to remove the plastic trim from around the rear window. Once the trim is off you will see four or five 8mm nuts that have to be removed with a 'deep socket'. Once these are out, then from the outside you line the spoiler up so that the metal washers slide over the interior bolts. It is all very easy (if you have the parts and 8mm deep.)
People who do not know what they are doing often remove the spoiler only from the rear and do not disconnect the interior piece. The result is that the plastic spoiler seperates from the metal rail/washers. They sell you the spolier and you do not have all the parts to instal it correctly.

good luck
Yea i didnt know you had to take apart the interior when i was parting out my GZE and i broke the metal stip off.
It is so thin it dont seem like it would do anything.
I would use an RTV sealer to attach it instead of that metal strip.

Max

1 - 9 of 9 Posts