MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal that my oil temp is over 260-270 degrees. Just installed a brand new autometer gauge today. Its was at 140 at start up and slowly during idleing the car the temp gauge starts to go higher and higher until the needle couldnt go no more.

what is wrong with my car? thermostat? Fans? Water pump? or the gauge it self?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Hmmm. I'm no expert, but that sounds a bit high and you said it just kept going up. Since you just installed it, I'd be suspicious of the gauge and install, especially if your coolant temp is normal.

It would probably help if you add details like.... were you boosting or on the highway and for how long? How long after cold start did the needle start to peg high? Do you have a stock turbo or an oil-only cooled aftermarket one? etc.

Kevin

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Those numbers sound VERY high. As Kevin said, I'd suspect the gauge. Pull the thermocouple out, but leave it connected to the gauge, and put it in some water you've just boiled. It should read about 212F if you're near sea level. If it doesn't, you know you have a faulty gauge setup.

FWIW, with no oil cooler at all, my oil temperature would get up to 220-230F, just cruising on the highway.

HTH,

Ken

·
Registered
211 Posts
it sounds like a faulty temp gauge.

if you are running on the highside, maybe adding an aftermarket oilcooler.. heat is express one-way ticket to kill your engine.

To me, an effective oil cooler is a must.. maybe adding a hood fan too?

-jjc.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
jjcnsx said:
it sounds like a faulty temp gauge.

if you are running on the highside, maybe adding an aftermarket oilcooler.. heat is express one-way ticket to kill your engine.

To me, an effective oil cooler is a must.. maybe adding a hood fan too?

-jjc.
It's probably the gauge. The stock oil cooler is very effective. The only time I've ever seen the engine outrun the stock cooler was on track days, after 15 minutes of hot-lapping.

Ken

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes, Toyota typically does a great job on cooling. Even with some modification, it is still ok for street application, or even for moderate tracking.

upto 230-240 degree F is still acceptable.

Given MR layout, it is extremely difficult to cool the engine effectively. I think a quality aftermarket oil cooler is a good idea. It will prolong the engine life and give some additional HPs..

In FI (NA too i think) cars, engine optimal output is around 175~180F, it will start to lose HP with temperture increase..

"In theory", if you can lower 20-35F by adding an oil cooler (typically on track), and 15-20F on street. You are also adding some extra horses (maybe 10+ RWHP?)...

I remember from 2JZ-GTE, it was like 1 hp decrease with 1 degree (C or F) increase.. something like that.

-jjc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts