MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I honestly think you bought the wrong car for that if you don't want to invest in it. Stock this makes about 140 to the crank. Sure it's a light car, but your 0-60 won't be anywhere near that. Factory these take 8s to get to 60, you can't shave 3 seconds off of the launch of a car without spending time and money on building it.

Turbo'ing a car is never as easy as bolting on a turbocharger and making 2x the power. Anyone who says otherwise is driving a timebomb I'm afraid.
Lol I haven't bought it yet im months away

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Lol I haven't bought it yet im months away
I honestly think you bought the wrong car for that if you don't want to invest in it. Stock this makes about 140 to the crank. Sure it's a light car, but your 0-60 won't be anywhere near that. Factory these take 8s to get to 60, you can't shave 3 seconds off of the launch of a car without spending time and money on building it.

Turbo'ing a car is never as easy as bolting on a turbocharger and making 2x the power. Anyone who says otherwise is driving a timebomb I'm afraid.
As for the turbo thing, I think I'm going to pretty much exactly follow what thecarpassionchannel did for his budget miata except a few upgraded things. I originally heard that the 3rd gen mr2 could sometimes handle 500 hp on other forums but whatever I guess I won't be reaching that anyways.

As for the 0-60, a conservative estimate using an online calculator gave me about 4 seconds at about 260hp. This factors in drivetrain loss, weight, rwd vs fwd and transmission type. How would I not reach that number in the slightest by what you are saying?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Only ZZW30 kit I know of is the one that Monkey Wrench sells. Pick the GT2860RS if you want 260 crank hp, that's just right for that turbo. Expect to spend at least 6k for the kit plus all of the stuff to make it really work. Only way to do a turbo for cheap is to fabricate everything yourself and find a used turbo that you can rebuild.

Why is your goal based on 0-60 times? Those are a bunch of marketing wank anyway, real world driving happens between 30 and 70 mph. Sure, stoplight drags are fun, but if that's your goal you should buy a Mustang.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Only ZZW30 kit I know of is the one that Monkey Wrench sells. Pick the GT2860RS if you want 260 crank hp, that's just right for that turbo. Expect to spend at least 6k for the kit plus all of the stuff to make it really work. Only way to do a turbo for cheap is to fabricate everything yourself and find a used turbo that you can rebuild.

Why is your goal based on 0-60 times? Those are a bunch of marketing wank anyway, real world driving happens between 30 and 70 mph. Sure, stoplight drags are fun, but if that's your goal you should buy a Mustang.
Comparing to a tesla. I've actually opted to do a 2ar swap on the spyder with no turbo

21 - 24 of 24 Posts