MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to look for installing a turbo on a Miata, there are entire channels deticated to this (like the car passion channel). But I can’t seem to find anything really on installing a turbo on a Mr2.
i really want to work on a 3rd gen Mr2 and maybe install a monkey wrench kit, but if the amount of builds are this farce then I guess I’ll have to go with the NB Miata as it looks like there is no where near as many videos on diy builds.

·
2,416 Posts
Most people just swap in a full turbo engine rather than adding a turbo to the NA engine.

Check here for what you need to do for a GEN4 3SGTE swap. You will need a bigger fuel pump too.
His channel covers a few other MR2 things but this shows you how to prep the 3SGTE to go into a 5SFE MR2. It's quite straight forward, most parts are easy to find, you just need money.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As GDII said, turboing an NA engine is not often done, since there are turbo engines available that are made to fit the chassis. Most people who want to turbo their car end up swapping.
The non-Turbo models don't take well to forced induction, as the ECU doesn't know how to cope with it and it has a relatively high compression for the era, meaning it will knock at fairly low levels of boost if the ignition timing isn't adjusted.

That said, turbo swapping can be a costly endeavor, since the NA gearbox is too weak to handle the Turbo engine's output, and the axles are also different sizes for the E153 (turbo) and S54 (NA) gearboxes, meaning you will need to find an engine, gearbox and axles to upgrade your car. Bought separately, this can get expensive really quickly, so your best hope is to find a scrapped Turbo car which you can buy as a whole as a parts bin.

My bad - I missed the part where you said 3rd gen. @GDII, is it that common to swap a 3S-GTE into a ZZ30? I think the video you linked talks about the 2nd gen as well, not the 3rd gen.

@Abdmohieddin I'm not very familiar with the 2ZZ engine or the ZZ30 MR2, but from my understanding the best/most common thing to do with those is to add a supercharger. I believe TRD, GReddy and Eaton all made superchargers for these cars - the Eaton one was used in some of the top of the line Lotus Exiges, so you might want to look for a "Lotus supercharger" when shopping around.

Just bolt on the supercharger, intercool it if you can for best results, and the stock ECU should be able to handle the boost. These kits are bolt on and designed for the engine, so it should be "plug and play".

To my understanding, the blocks don't take well to the high boost you need for making a turbo worth while without extensive investment into the engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As GDII said, turboing an NA engine is not often done, since there are turbo engines available that are made to fit the chassis. Most people who want to turbo their car end up swapping.
The non-Turbo models don't take well to forced induction, as the ECU doesn't know how to cope with it and it has a relatively high compression for the era, meaning it will knock at fairly low levels of boost if the ignition timing isn't adjusted.

That said, turbo swapping can be a costly endeavor, since the NA gearbox is too weak to handle the Turbo engine's output, and the axles are also different sizes for the E153 (turbo) and S54 (NA) gearboxes, meaning you will need to find an engine, gearbox and axles to upgrade your car. Bought separately, this can get expensive really quickly, so your best hope is to find a scrapped Turbo car which you can buy as a whole as a parts bin.

My bad - I missed the part where you said 3rd gen. @GDII, is it that common to swap a 3S-GTE into a ZZ30? I think the video you linked talks about the 2nd gen as well, not the 3rd gen.

@Abdmohieddin I'm not very familiar with the 2ZZ engine or the ZZ30 MR2, but from my understanding the best/most common thing to do with those is to add a supercharger. I believe TRD, GReddy and Eaton all made superchargers for these cars - the Eaton one was used in some of the top of the line Lotus Exiges, so you might want to look for a "Lotus supercharger" when shopping around.

Just bolt on the supercharger, intercool it if you can for best results, and the stock ECU should be able to handle the boost. These kits are bolt on and designed for the engine, so it should be "plug and play".

To my understanding, the blocks don't take well to the high boost you need for making a turbo worth while without extensive investment into the engine.
Thanks you. Will look into it. I was originally planning on installing megasquirt and not doing a swap as I want the entire turbo system to be under 5k (so monkey wrench just made the cut).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most people just swap in a full turbo engine rather than adding a turbo to the NA engine.

Check here for what you need to do for a GEN4 3SGTE swap. You will need a bigger fuel pump too.
His channel covers a few other MR2 things but this shows you how to prep the 3SGTE to go into a 5SFE MR2. It's quite straight forward, most parts are easy to find, you just need money.
Thanks. I am however not planning on doing a swap, but will be installing megasquirt. I dojt need anything more than 250whp and maybe 200lbft.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks you. Will look into it. I was originally planning on installing megasquirt and not doing a swap as I want the entire turbo system to be under 5k (so monkey wrench just made the cut).

Actually now that lool into it i cant seem to find a supercharger kit anywhere. Do those actually exist? Like not a replacement supercharger but rather a slap-on one? Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks. I am however not planning on doing a swap, but will be installing megasquirt. I dojt need anything more than 250whp and maybe 200lbft.
Seem reasonable. You can definitely get that safely and reliable, even without a megasquirt, using the superchargers used on the Lotus. There are a few different models, and some people replace the stock ones (which made 225-260bhp depending on the model) with some after market ones, so you could be on the look out for one of those.

None of the available options are cheap though, so you'll have to look for used parts. Most of these superchargers tend to be reliable, so wear shouldn't really be an issue. Just change the oil in them and you should be set.

Alternatively, if you want to save costs and can get things like mounts made cheaply, you could look at superchargers from other engines, which are much, much cheaper. I picked up a Mercedes SLK Kompressor supercharger for 90 eurodollars with all the relevant bits and pieces attached which I plan to try out on my 3S engine someday. In the US and Canada you can find Eaton superchargers for big engines easily, but I'm not sure any of those are suitable for the 2ZZ's 1.8L displacement.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Actually now that lool into it i cant seem to find a supercharger kit anywhere. Do those actually exist? Like not a replacement supercharger but rather a slap-on one? Thanks
Sure, the engines are the same, so the replacement superchargers bolt right on.

For some aftermarket options (be prepared to be shocked in terms of pricing though):
  1. https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/katana-2-supercharger
  2. Supercharger Replacement Unit - GReddy Celica Kit, Katana
  3. TVS1320 GENERIC - Harrop (this model is fitted from the factory on certain Lotus Exiges with the same engine as yours)
  4. Rotrex KITs - Order online now - rotrexshop.com (these are not straight bolt-ons but they are increasingly common on 2ZZ)
Not an expert though - you should probably ask around in the Mk3 subforum for more help with the choice of a cheap supercharging solution. Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seem reasonable. You can definitely get that safely and reliable, even without a megasquirt, using the superchargers used on the Lotus. There are a few different models, and some people replace the stock ones (which made 225-260bhp depending on the model) with some after market ones, so you could be on the look out for one of those.

None of the available options are cheap though, so you'll have to look for used parts. Most of these superchargers tend to be reliable, so wear shouldn't really be an issue. Just change the oil in them and you should be set.

Alternatively, if you want to save costs and can get things like mounts made cheaply, you could look at superchargers from other engines, which are much, much cheaper. I picked up a Mercedes SLK Kompressor supercharger for 90 eurodollars with all the relevant bits and pieces attached which I plan to try out on my 3S engine someday. In the US and Canada you can find Eaton superchargers for big engines easily, but I'm not sure any of those are suitable for the 2ZZ's 1.8L displacement.
Nice. I've seen superchargers go up to 5k, ut what your saying is that if I can find a supercharger from another vehicle and possible a kit to work with it then Itcan work out? I haven't researched superchargers much as putting in a turbo WAS my main focus, but if its tbat cheap then hell yeah.
Is there anything you can specific recommend? If it costs under 3k then that's cool, but I dont want to fabricate anything huge (maybe a bit of welding but not like make my own kit). I searched for gredy and got nothing

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

For some aftermarket options (be prepared to be shocked in terms of pricing though):
  3. TVS1320 GENERIC - Harrop (this model is fitted from the factory on certain Lotus Exiges with the same engine as yours)
  4. Rotrex KITs - Order online now - rotrexshop.com (these are not straight bolt-ons but they are increasingly common on 2ZZ)
Not an expert though - you should probably ask around in the Mk3 subforum for more help with the choice of a cheap supercharging solution. Good luck!
Thanks. Didn't expect a reply at 6 in the morning :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice. I've seen superchargers go up to 5k, ut what your saying is that if I can find a supercharger from another vehicle and possible a kit to work with it then Itcan work out? I haven't researched superchargers much as putting in a turbo WAS my main focus, but if its tbat cheap then hell yeah.
Is there anything you can specific recommend? If it costs under 3k then that's cool, but I dont want to fabricate anything huge (maybe a bit of welding but not like make my own kit). I searched for gredy and got nothing
Woops didn't see ur other comment there

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

So the 3rd and 4th links need kits right. Or bolt on? I think tr 3rd said it needed a kit but I didnt see that anywhere

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry, I'm not an expert and can't confidently recommend anything. I've never worked on a mark 3 or a 2ZZ engine, I'm just going off the knowledge others have shared in the past.

You'll probably have a hard time finding aftermarket kits for superchargers from other makes, but all it really takes is 2 mounts which you can prototype using some metal bits, a 3D printer or maybe even cardboard, after which you can have proper mounts CNC'ed for not that much money. It's definitely not going to be low on effort to make it work, but it's not like it's rocket science, either.

So the 3rd and 4th links need kits right. Or bolt on? I think tr 3rd said it needed a kit but I didnt see that anywhere
Looks like it, yes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Definitely don't act on my advice alone. Ask around in the Mk3 subforum. They will know. The Mk3 has been gaining a lot of popularity and there is a lot of people modding 2ZZ's out in the world.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had it wrong - I'm talking about 2ZZ engines and the MR2 comes with a 1ZZ engine. They're not the same, the 2ZZ is a common engine swap for the Mk3, I thought they came with these factory - shows you how seriously you should take my advice!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had it wrong - I'm talking about 2ZZ engines and the MR2 comes with a 1ZZ engine. They're not the same, the 2ZZ is a common engine swap for the Mk3, I thought they came with these factory - shows you how seriously you should take my advice!
Ok.... no since I've posted like 3 times about the supercharger and haven't gotten a response where else should I look? Like an entire toyota forum?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok.... no since I've posted like 3 times about the supercharger and haven't gotten a response where else should I look? Like an entire toyota forum?
The superchargers I talked about were for a later generation 2ZZ engine, so not the stock MR2 engine, sorry. I had things confused in my head. I'm not sure if there are superchargers for the 1ZZ. I have no idea what the options for a 2ZZ are.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did miss 3rd GEN. The 1ZZ is OK but the 2ZZ with a supercharger is way way better.
I'm not made of money lol this will be a project car that will go vroom vroom occasionally I won't even be doing accessories like suspension and tires and stuff I just want 0-60 under 5 seconds. But there is pretty much nothing for this car unlike a miata which there are entire channels dedicated to. So I might go that route instead

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just want 0-60 under 5 seconds
I honestly think you bought the wrong car for that if you don't want to invest in it. Stock this makes about 140 to the crank. Sure it's a light car, but your 0-60 won't be anywhere near that. Factory these take 8s to get to 60, you can't shave 3 seconds off of the launch of a car without spending time and money on building it.

Turbo'ing a car is never as easy as bolting on a turbocharger and making 2x the power. Anyone who says otherwise is driving a timebomb I'm afraid.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts