MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well i have a ct27 turbo, 3" dp, and a manuel boost controller. I had a straight pipe for my exhaust but i just bolted up the stock muffler to try to pass. The stock muffler hs been sitting under a porch for over a year. So i go and try to get it passed:

HC: failed by 7
CO: failed by .10
NOx failed by over 1000

Now i know i dont have a primary cat, but everyone i have talked to says that a secondary cat and a muffler should be just fine. I properly warmed it up etc. but i do not want to have to put that stock DP back in. Is there any other tricks i can do to get it to pass? i have 15 days starting today...

·
Registered
348 Posts
clean your air filter, make sure your ignition components are in good shape. I passed ohio e-check a while ago on a secondary cat alone and posted my results - you could compare your results to mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a friend who did an engine swap on an MX-3(KLZE V6) put camping fuel in to reduce the emissions. He put it in with about 1/3 tank of 94 sunoco and passed. Without even being considered a hot rod.

Don't know if you want to try this out but I thought I would add to the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
My E-check with/without main cat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without Main Cat / WITH Main Cat
HC=106.5 / 11.1 limit 127.0
CO=0.76 / 0.00 limit 0.71
NO=1292.4 / 54.5 limit 910.0

·
Banned
9,290 Posts
Change your oil....MUST use primary cat....hence NOx was over 1000..enable EGR system if you removed it? Check timing, vac leaks...RUN the car super hard before you bring it to the smog shop..(get the Catalyst super hot)... I had about the same NOx reading as your with no cats at all...installing the primary cat fixed it all...(cali smog laws).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts