MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the back of the 4ag head there is a water outlet. It has a short pipe for a cooling hose the size of a heater hose and 2 sensors? The sensor that is on the back side of the outlet that has a round green plug on it with one wire, what is it and do I need it for my new JDM smallport?

Reason, I broke off the short piece of pipe. Don't ask how. The extra outlet that I have only has 1 port for a sensor. It does not have the port that is facing backwards. There is a hole there, but it does not go all the way through. I guess I could just drill it through and tap it if I have to.

I also have the outlet from the JDM motor, but the short pipe is facing the wrong way. I have extra heater hose, so I guess I could reroute it if I need to.

I would rather use the port with the single outlet if that back sensor is not needed.

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
use the MR2 parts. trust me... it works better.
it is a water temp sender. I think that one goes to the gauge. Just go to autozone or your local parts store and get another. they are cheap

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sensor is ok. It is the actual water outlet that is ok. The outlet that is on the rear end of the head. The temp sensor for the gauge I believe is on the intake side of the head near the front(timing cover) of the engine. The outlet in question is on the back of the head just above the tranny.

I di notice that the outlet on the front of the engine where the hose from the filler connects to has a different bend to it. I already swapped that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Barry's u-pull it in Mobile has three of them on engines. If you want one let me know, I may be able to get it and send it or have the wife drop it to you next week. I plan to pull these engines in the near future for spares.

Jay Scott

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jnscott, I may take you up on that. I think Barry's in Gulfport still has 1 MK1, but I won't be able to get down there today. I still don't know what the sensor on the rear of the outlet is. Green round plug with 1 wire. Car is an '86 na.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cfspinner, thanks for the pic. That is exactly what it is. The EFI temp. switch. I am wondering why the first motor I got for a swap did not have the second port for that switch in that housing. The JDM smallport has a different housing with 2 different sensors. They may be the same sensors, but look different.

I am assuming the EFI temp switch is important. Would the lack of one keep engine from starting.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Scottgas, I've never done the 20V conversion, but I'm willing to go over some points with you. In my opinion, you should isolate any one or combination of systems that are down, ignition (can be checked with a timing light) Injection, (can be checked with a "noid" light from Autozone) which is a light that plugs into the injection harness, and fuel pressure. If you don't even get a bump or toot when you crank it, I'd say either ignition or fuel pressure is down. I just put a rag under the cold start injector and briefly and carefully crack the banjo bolt and look for fuel pressure. In other words, be careful with this with regards to fire hazard.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey fogjammer, it's not a 20 valve. Just a lowly JDM smallport highcomp. JNSCOTT help me through the problems today on the phone. Turned out my cam timing was off. Thanks anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts