MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know next to nothing about car-audio (well audio in general).
I have a 93 MR2-T with the premium stock stereo. I bought a
Alpine CDA9805, head unit. Should I be removing any of the stock
amplifiers when I install this?

For now I wil be retaining my stock speakers, replacing them over
the summer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I removed my complete stock stereo yesterday. If you plan on using the hi level outputs from your cd player then dont bother removing the factory amps. Just rewire the car. If you have front and rear rca pre-outs get a scosche line out put convertor and you can plug the rca's into the factory harness.

But me personally am doing away with the useless rears and doing a good component set and a pair of 8" SAS bazooka tubes. Im rewiring the car.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GTA_G20 said:
I removed my complete stock stereo yesterday. If you plan on using the hi level outputs from your cd player then dont bother removing the factory amps. Just rewire the car. If you have front and rear rca pre-outs get a scosche line out put convertor and you can plug the rca's into the factory harness.

But me personally am doing away with the useless rears and doing a good component set and a pair of 8" SAS bazooka tubes. Im rewiring the car.
sorry, I mean I'm really ignorant with audio gear.
Do I need some sort of harness or to do any splicing to work with this alpine deck?

By rewire what does that entail?

my deck has:
4 volt max. preouts - 3 in total - Front/rear/sub

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
he means that he is installing front seperates which consist of a tweeter and a mid, he rewired it to go to an aftermarket amplifier, instead of plugging back into the radio... so the RCA which is the pre-outs on urs (FRONT) will be hooked up to the amp, and the amp will then give out the necessary power to support the front speakers he installed... most radios can not handle seperates at high volume...

someone correct me if im wrong, or add on to whut i missed

·
Registered
162 Posts
Exactly. You have 3 choices basically

1 - keep factory amps in car and bypass(not use) them by using the hi level outputs(purple,grey,green,white- speaker wires) on the back of the radio and run your own individual lines to the door speakers and rear speakers.

2 - keep factory amps in car and use them actively by using a LOC(Line output convertor)which uses the low level rca pre-outs on the back of your radio and transfers the low level 4v signal into speaker wire which can then be spliced into your factory wiring harness(which is the input to your factory amplifier).

3 - Remove factory amps. Run individual speaker lines to each speaker which will be connected to aftermarket amplifier. signal will come from RCA low level outputs off head unit.

If you were to run hi level speaker wire from the radio( purple, green, grey, white) directly into the wiring harness>amplifier input. You would overload the input on the factory amplifier causing it to malfunction.

·
Two 2s - 93T, 88 SC
2,965 Posts
GTA_G20 said:
Exactly. You have 3 choices basically

1 - keep factory amps in car and bypass(not use) them by using the hi level outputs(purple,grey,green,white- speaker wires) on the back of the radio and run your own individual lines to the door speakers and rear speakers.

2 - keep factory amps in car and use them actively by using a LOC(Line output convertor)which uses the low level rca pre-outs on the back of your radio and transfers the low level 4v signal into speaker wire which can then be spliced into your factory wiring harness(which is the input to your factory amplifier).

3 - Remove factory amps. Run individual speaker lines to each speaker which will be connected to aftermarket amplifier. signal will come from RCA low level outputs off head unit.

If you were to run hi level speaker wire from the radio( purple, green, grey, white) directly into the wiring harness>amplifier input. You would overload the input on the factory amplifier causing it to malfunction.
I first wired it this way without using a pre-amp signal (the last paragraph above) and it was loud as hell with feedback and quickly began to overheat the new HU. Take this to heart - don't do it.

Option 2 - This is what I did after realizing what needed to be done to keep the stock amps. I installed new double din Sony Xplod unit with CD, Cassette, EQ and it sounds great.

John
93T, 88 SC

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jeebert2 said:
Option 2 - This is what I did after realizing what needed to be done to keep the stock amps. I installed new double din Sony Xplod unit with CD, Cassette, EQ and it sounds great.
93T, 88 SC

The LOC is about 50$ I see. Ok, I think that is what I'll do!
I don't want to drop a whole lot on the stereo. I'd like to keep this project under 300$.

I want to replace my stock subs using the stock enclosure, they are sounding a bit old. Have to check out those threads on here.

thanks for the help guys

What kind of wiring harness should I pick up for option 2 of the LOC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts