MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im a car noob. just started working on my just bought 87 MR2. It was overheating and after taking out the thermostat housing, it was really gunky and nasty.. the thermostat was snapped so i put in a new one today.

then when i was putting it back together, i found that some pipes didnt have hoses and such...

heres a pic

that little metal pipe thing on top of the thermostat housing and the other pipe where all the other egr/ whatever hoses are lined up...i have no idea where they go and i checked the manual???

plz help

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The one coming off the thermostat housing goes from there to the side of the overflow tank. I'd have to look at the BGB to see where the vacume line goes.

~C.C.~

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
kakapoopie said:
...i have no idea where they go and i checked the manual???

plz help
If I'm not mistaken, it looks like that blue vacum switching valve is missing a nipple, thats where that loose vacum line should go. Are there two vacum lines going to that switch? doesn't look like it from the pic.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea its missing a nipple...it cracked...btw where can i get one of those things?

ok so now i see the coolant line goes there, i forgot it was disconnected to drain, but i need to buy some jackstands and a jack to finish draining. (was borrowing a freind's)

but im still unclear about that silver pipe next to where all the vaccum hoses go...where does that go?

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
I accidentally broke that blue plastic thing off when I installed a new thermo a couple weeks ago. The two vacuum tubes are still attached to it, but the piece is broken off of the housing. The car still runs fine. I looked into it and didn't really understand what it was for, but it doesn't leak or run differently.

·
Registered
638 Posts
kakapoopie said:
yea its missing a nipple...it cracked...btw where can i get one of those things?

ok so now i see the coolant line goes there, i forgot it was disconnected to drain, but i need to buy some jackstands and a jack to finish draining. (was borrowing a freind's)

but im still unclear about that silver pipe next to where all the vaccum hoses go...where does that go?
Part number for that bimetal vacum switching valve is 90925-05047 costs around $40.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
holy ____....

i just got the 2 ton jackstands and jack and creeper combo for like $25 so if the car doesnt fall on me ittl be a good deal

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
All the broken BVSV does is activate the EGR.

The silver vacuum pipe that has nothing on it is part of the A/C idle-up circuit. If you don't have A/C, it's nothing important - but I would cap it off.

The pipe coming out of the bleeder screw should have a hose connecting it to the coolant overflow bottle.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thnx all i think ive got everything connected back right...

and im gonna skip that bvsv thing cuz i need to spend the money on more urgent care...

well like i said im a car noob and im gonna be trying to flush/bleed whatever the coolant this weekend. actually my neighbor was helping me and already drained some of it...idk if theres secret drain cocks or anything but ill figure it out.

thnx for all the hlp again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts