MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I'm a new member (been lurking for a few months). Took delivery of an 1989 MR2 T-roof yesterday, looking forward to keeping it running and making some small-ish improvements. I'm in central PA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Everyone,
Thank you for the welcome! I saw the link to TwosRUs in another post on this forum... I think I'll be buying a few things there!
My car is "blue mist metallic." It began its life in Florida, was in Michigan for about a year, went to Georgia for almost 25 years, and was then exported to Canada. I found it on Kijiji (the Canadian equivalent of Craigslist) and brought it back to the US.
Jack

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,897 Posts
Assuming it was repainted in the original shade, Toyota calls this color "Ice Blue Pearl". I owned an 89SC in this color. As an 89-only color it's quite rare on MK1s.
The clear plastic side moldings, pin-striping and other decals were not replaced when your car was repainted. Also, the plastic "eyebrows" in front of the headlights are normally body color.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Assuming it was repainted in the original shade, Toyota calls this color "Ice Blue Pearl". I owned an 89SC in this color. As an 89-only color it's quite rare on MK1s.
The clear plastic side moldings, pin-striping and other decals were not replaced when your car was repainted. Also, the plastic "eyebrows" in front of the headlights are normally body color.
It was indeed repainted by the previous owner in its original color... I looked up the name of the color online (on some third-party site), so must have gotten the wrong color name. Looks like I'll need to paint the eyebrows (maybe these should really be called eyelashes, since they're below the headlights... but I'll stick with tradition!). Decals etc. were a little lower on my priority list, but I see that TwosRUs sells them for a reasonable price, so I might move them up (we'll see what my soon-to-be-16yo son says about what we should do first). New wheels and tires are high up on the list... and some of the door and T-top gaskets are starting to show some cracking.

My plan is to drive the car for a bit to see what we want to fix first and then prioritize. And that way we'll also figure out if the car is a "he" or a "she" or something else :)

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,897 Posts
For wheels, if you want to keep a "stock look", you can use a set of MK3 (Spyder) rims. The fit well and look right at home on the MK1. There are still decent tires available in 15" sizes that work. Unfortunately there are virtually no good 14" tires in the stock 185/60-14 size.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts