MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it help if I heat wrapped my intercooler pipe to my throttle body? I have a ton of heat wrap also, so if any on needs some, I have endless supplies. Also what else should I wrap?

If you want the tape, pay for shipping, I'll do the rest. I don't know the brand of tape, but we use it on F-15's so it does the job.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
No. You want the heat to dissipate while passing through to the TB. The air coming out of the IC will be hotter than the air in the engine bay. Why trap heat in?

·
Registered
459 Posts
really i have mine wrapped. i would think the air going into the intercooler would be hotter than the air in the engine bay and the intercooler would actually cool the air going to the TB.

·
Premium Member
5,587 Posts
Wrapping the cold air intake tube may help keep the air going into the turbo from picking up some heat from engine compartment, but wrapping the tube from the intercooler to the tb would trap the heat in (the air after the turbo will be a lot hotter than the air going into it).

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Remember in school physics/chemistry, you learned the ideal gas law, PV=nRT. Then you probably learned the combined gas law, P1V1/P2V2=T1/T2. If you plug in condition #1 being before the turbo and condition #2 being after the turbo/IC and solve for T2 you'll see how much hotter the air is in the IC pipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts