MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Greenwitenvy92T said:
Does anyone know if it's actually that effective in lowering the intake tempretures?
mine was effective at loosening up and rattling so I took it off...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Greenwitenvy92T - I beleive it is a rain gaurd. It is effective at that. It would not be effective at keeping heat out though :) HTH

Luke

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
rain gaurd, not heat shield, think about where it goes and whats near it. goes on top of filter (keep water out), nothing creating heat over it.

garrett

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
but what if its on a front engine application and there are no vents in the hood

·
Registered
161 Posts
And on an MR2 Turbo, is it possible to get enough water through the intake, without the rain guard on, to actually damage the turbo or engine? (Question spawning from thoughts of water injection systems)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Okay, here it is, straight from the horses mouth, Masaki at Apexi US. While it may keep stray drops out, they are designed for the intakes primarily for heat. The way it is positioned also captures more of the cooler air from the side intake into the filter.

How much rain would you be getting in here?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Strat said:
And on an MR2 Turbo, is it possible to get enough water through the intake, without the rain guard on, to actually damage the turbo or engine? (Question spawning from thoughts of water injection systems)
You have to remember water injection kits spray the water after the intercooler... I wouldn't want water in my turbo ;\

·
Registered
15 Posts
i've had that intake for a couple of years. the position of it is right under the engine lid/sidecover and water exp. from car washing goes right in. if there is a gain from blocking some heat its minimum.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
myko013 said:
i've had that intake for a couple of years. the position of it is right under the engine lid/sidecover and water exp. from car washing goes right in. if there is a gain from blocking some heat its minimum.

then maybe you should go take another peak at yours....i just went outside to look at mine because i was certain it was quite a bit tucked under the side panel...the very edge of the intake is about 2 inches inside of the side panel, plus it's about another 3 inches from the edge of the engine lid to the opening of the stock rain guard attached to the bottom of the engine lid...that means that the intake is about 5 inches (at least) inside of anyplace water can get in...not to mention that the rain guard under the engine lid comes down at an angle, making it even harder for water to get to the intake...if you decide to make the arguement about having the rain guard being removed on your car, that won't hold water either (pun) as apexi designed it for a factory mr2, not one with the rain guard removed...apexi calls it a heat shield and that's what it is...it might double as a rain guard for the intake but that is a coincidence more than an intention...but hey, you guys did a fabulous job of talking down to this gentleman for calling it what it is when YOU were the ones who are wrong...you should feel very proud

i apologize for these guys, greenwitenvy

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
considering it's feeding into a super hot turbo....... who cares.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
its a heat shield, its common knowledge. aluminum is a great heat reflector and this is what it is made out of.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
ok we could beat this to death... in my opinion its a rainshield. this makes far more sense than it being a heatshield seeing as how water will pour in right between the engine lid and the side panel directly onto the filter element. if the shield was a heatshield then i supppose its shielding the intake filter from the radiant heat emitting engine lid... since thats where its facing

1 - 20 of 42 Posts