MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Red Mk1a Mr2
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headlights were working fine till they weren't, I flipped the switch to put them up to go out and cruise but the headlights turn on but won't pop up, they illuminate the ground now. I am pretty sure I can manually set them in the up position but would like to fix the issue at hand. If anybody has any suggestions, It would be much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
12,332 Posts
Check fuses first. There are two fuses for the headlight retractor system, and I believe that they are both in the frunk fusebox.

·
Registered
Red Mk1a Mr2
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check fuses first. There are two fuses for the headlight retractor system, and I believe that they are both in the frunk fusebox.
Today I checked the fuses in the frunk and they had a little bit of corrosion gunk and I was able to get most out and clean the terminals on each fuse however had no luck with that fixing my issue. In both of my fuseboxes, I had a lot of corrosion that I cleaned earlier this year with harbor freight quick-drying electrical cleaner, which cleaned up a lot of the corrosion but still left minimal amounts of corrosion within each fusebox. Should I find a more thorough way to clean fuseboxes to where there is absolutely no corrosion left or should I be alright in that regard? I guess I gotta test the fuses with a multimeter (which is not my forte) or check the motor that raises the headlight units themselves?

·
Registered
372 Posts
You'll want to get a wiring diagram and trace out where power for the headlights comes from. Then start checking for power at each point in the circuit. Start at the battery end and work towards the headlight motor. I find printing the diagram and writing out what you find in each place to be super helpful.

I believe there are a couple of black box type devices between the battery and the headlight mirrors, most notably the retainer relay. I believe that's what has the reputation for failure.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Look for the headlight retractor control module. The capacitors fail with age. Easy to fix if you can solder. I replaced the capacitors on my sw20 models.

Headlight Retractor Control Relay 85964 17010

·
Registered
Red Mk1a Mr2
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First off, thanks for your solution because it saved me a ton of headaches
I found my issue, it was the the 2 fuses that are in the frunk as you mentioned. In my case, the 7.5 amp fuse was blown and swapped around with the 30 amp fuse (labeled RTRMTR and RTR).
I swapped em back around and voila, my headlights pop up and work now ... but don't retract till I get a new 7.5 fuse

I have many fuses in places they shouldn't have been in the first place and some missing entirely! Should I be concerned that my AW11 has had mismatched and missing fuses for who knows how long and could those said fuses cause major issues that I should be worried about?

Brown Rectangle Wood Fashion accessory Metal
Circuit component Automotive tire Gas Computer hardware Vehicle
]

]
Audio equipment Automotive lighting Gadget Gas Machine

·
Premium Member
12,332 Posts
A fuse that is too small may blow, as has occured, and that problem can be solved when it comes up. A fuse that is too large does not provide full protection. It is not a problem unless you have a circuit failure that causes an overload, and in that case there may be unnecessary wiring damage. A hard short will blow just about any fuse, but an overload condition, such as a stalled electric motor, will draw excess current that may overheat the wiring if it is not fused correctly. So, it is worth your time to make sure that the fuses are all correct.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts