MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So both headlights are stuck up and won't go down when the car is off. I have checked all the fuses under the frunk and they are all OK.

I checked all the conections that I could find in that area and they all seem fine.

Is it one motor that controls both headlights?

Anyone have any ideas what to check next?

Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a problem with the left headlight stuck in the up position, so each headlight must have it's own motor. I would check for a loose connection to a relay or something...if thet use a relay.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Originally posted by DavidV
LOL ... stuck up and won't go down?

-- DavidV :D
Exactly what I thought!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So has anyone had this partricular problem and found a solution?

thanks
Gary

and yes we all have met some that are stuck up and won't go down.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone must know the answer.
There are dozens of guys here that know every nut and bolt on am MR2.

help me out here

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
This might sound stupid but check to see if your head light switch is all the way in the off position, LOL you never know.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup the switch appears to be functioning fine. Sometimes it is the simpleset things you need to check first.

I'm pretty sure since they have independant motors and both are stuck then it must me some kind of electrical problem.

Back to the BGB.

gary

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Originally posted by CDNMR2
Back to the BGB.
Yeah, specifically the wiring diagrams. If I had this problem, I'd bust out the test light and wiring diagrams....

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
check the arm that lifts them it might require some dismantling but RTFM and find the arm, then you acn manually drop, them if they are annoying, but also check the knob behind the headlight in the frunk, it has a cap over it, and it adjusts the height of the headlights, thats how you give them that sleeper look. :headbang:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was wondering what the red knob does. Thanks.
Unless the arm is somehow seized it probably is some kind of electrical problem.

thanks

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had my left light get stuck raised because the black cover around it had gotten loose over the years and was physically preventing it from lowering. Unlikely that's your problem since it's both of your lights at the same time, but check the side covers on the lights. There's 2 screws on each side, make sure they're tight.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tip I checked but that's not the case.

Just got off the phone with Toyota and it really has to be either the headlight control relay @ $53.00 or the headlight retractor relay @ $279.00.
Of course there are no headlight retractor relays in North America.

My best option is to find someone with a parts car.

Can't believe how expensive a couple of relays are.

Gary

·
Registered
717 Posts
friggin expensive, for that kind of dough I'd opt to just leave BOTH lights up.... :p ...not really.. hope you get it sortted out soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm sorry for bringing this tread back from the dead but having the same problem I tried to turn the knob and one goes down the other is ceased wont even turn. I'm guessing is the motor…..

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm sorry for bringing this tread back from the dead but having the same problem I tried to turn the knob and one goes down the other is ceased wont even turn. I'm guessing is the motor…..
It's been twenty years but I had this issue on my '86 Celica GTS back in college. It ended up being the headlight retractor relay was faulty, however, there is a way to use the pins that run to it to test the mechanical systems for fault (And also lower your lights until you turn them back on again). Locate the relay and a pinout diagram and you can, at least, eliminate a mechanical or motor issue as the problem. If they retract normally by this method then you can be sure the problem is the relay, wiring or switch.
I was able to figure it out in front of my dorm with a pathetic set of simple tools. Good luck.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Also you may be able to open up the relay.
Then look at the solder joints on the circuit board - some may be cracked and need to be resoldered.
You can also clean the relay contacts with some fine sand paper or Emory cloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts