MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving one night and my headlights started smoking...i checked them out and the housing was melting inside above the light bulb. Then i drove home and i checked again and the right headlight was out and i looked closer and the glass was cracked!

I think its my fault though but im not sure...i was going to do a fog light mod that i found here..http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=49811...i did step one and grounded the wire going to the relay...then when i was going to do step two with the fog light switch i cut the wires but i never got to finish...i left the wires disconnected (i wrapped them full of electrical tape) then i drove to church and thats when saw them smoking

So did grounding the wire and/or cutting the wires at the fog light switch cause my headlight bulbs to overload?...too much amps?...bad bulbs (theyre aftermarket)?...can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
it can't have too many amps, electrical devices only draw as many amps as they want.
It's possible that bad wiring could have got things too hot, but I'm thinking the bulb just sucked.

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if just got the oem bulbs for now they shouldnt smoke?...cuz ive had these aftermarket bulbs for a while now and they never gave me a problem before...when i grounded that wire and disconnected the fog light switch wires they shoudlnt have anything to do with the headlights burning up right?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts