MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My high beams are only as bright as other mk1's low beams. The bulbs in there now are from the previous owners, but are Silvania's, so I think they are okay. Do you think this could be an electrical issue?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Are they regular sylvanias or the silverstars? Either way check the grounds and clean out the connections on the lap assemblies and the conncetors. It could also be a bad relay with high resistance on the contacts.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
regs, I'll check all the connections tonight. The whole bulb and enclosure are silvania if that makes a difference. I have to drive around all the time with my brights because theyre so dim. Its partically risky because of how many deer reside in my part of town.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
maybe replace them if theyre from the previous owners???
Who knows how old they are, headlights do dim as they wear out over time.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
dude me too, once i changed the wrong fugging headlight on my car... (changed the one that fugging worked) LOL WTF!!!

anyway all the screws were rusted leaving you with crap... i had to drill them out and put in new screws...

total PITA

~mikeym

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
yea its not all that bad, don't get me wrong... its just time consuming if ____ was as rusted as mine...

i don't think my headlights had been changed in 10 years...

it didn't help that when my dad was going into my car he bumped my switch to off so that my lights went down with the bulb unattached to them...

so that was stuck in there for awhile till i could take off the covers and get the bulb out

haha...

~mikeym

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
It really depends on the condition of your car and the climate it's been driven in. I've had it go terribly where I've had to use penetrating lube for a day and still started to strip the phillips heads only to replace them with stainless ones, and I've had it go easily as well on a clean car.

·
Registered
316 Posts
hmm when I first got my MR2 the headlights were kinda dim..then got some Sylvania Silverstars, and it was like night and day. Had to drill out the rusted screws..took one that was salvageable and went to Home Depot and just got ones of the same size. Pretty easy to swap. :)

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
i'll 2nd aiming (and learning how to) your headlights. 9 out of 10 cars i see on the streets i can tell don't know how to do anything but blind me. works wonders.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.