MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case I can't afford my 3sgte swap, I may buy a header just to add a little something to my NA for another summer. I see ebay auctions for the SSautochrome header, some with "Buy it Now" prices of $350! I thought they used to be much cheaper. Have any of you purchased the SS header or any other brand, if so, what did you pay?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I bought the SSAC header for about $250, but that was a couple summers ago. I still haven't installed it yet, haha.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, I just read some of SSAC's feedback on ebay and there is no way I'm buying from these guys. I want a header that lasts and I've heard good things about the HotShot headers. The Hotshot website lists them at $321.

·
Registered
897 Posts
you can get obx headers for like 200 on ebay. As long as they are real i dont see the problem. I paid 140 for the ssautos i have.

Iv bought 3 ssauto headers. Still have never istalled any, but i boug the first two for 150 each, then sold them on ebay for 280 each right after i bough them. Then i bought these current ones for 140, but i think im gunna throw them on and see what happens.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
If you want some Ebay nock off get OBX. Then if you want something semi decent get ssauto. If you want something that acually had design put into it the Hotshots are it.

I have heard of OBX's welds cracking... SSautocrome looks similar to OBX to me. Then i have seen and heard great things from Hotshot.

Edit: (my flame suite is on)

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
i have had no problems with my ssac header and i bought it used.....:)

·
Registered
378 Posts
just get the OBX header. I bought mine for $215 brand spanmin new. Its affordable and... shiet... it made a BIG difference on my car. I still have no problems with the welds on my header (i checked recently after 6 months of driving hard) and I even have them wrapped. And if it does crack just get it rewelded. Its not hard. Just giving you a heads up man.

I guess you could try SSAC though I dont like how the primary pipes combine so soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just bought a SSAC header off ebay for $180 shipped. I was going to get the OBX, but there weren't any on ebay and the SSAC was cheaper. I should be getting it by the end of the week so I'll let you know what I think of it.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Gocasen said:
If you want some Ebay nock off get OBX. Then if you want something semi decent get ssauto. If you want something that acually had design put into it the Hotshots are it.

I have heard of OBX's welds cracking... SSautocrome looks similar to OBX to me. Then i have seen and heard great things from Hotshot.

Edit: (my flame suite is on)
You've already heard stories of welds breaking? They just came out and they are already breaking?? Are you sure you are not thinking of the SSAC? Where did you here these stories?

The ssac doesn't look anything like the obx design. The OBX looks just like the hotshots and the ssac look similar to the HME's.

I would consider the SSAC eBay knock-off's whereas the OBX's as something decent.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got my SSAC header today! The auction ended sunday evening, and I got it this morning (tuesday) so that was a surprise.

Here is a pic of it:

I'm very happy with the overall quality. I have more pics if anyone wants to see them. Hopefully I will have it installed on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
MARKUS2222: You should just save the money you would spend on the header and keep it towards the 3sgte swap. Just makes more sense to me. You don't have quite enough to get your swap so you are going to spend more money in the opposite direction you are wanting to go. Just seems like you will be making it harder to reach your goals. That $300 more you have to save up on top of what you already don't have. Just my thoughts on that though....

·
Premium Member
5,587 Posts
FWIW, I had HotShots before I got my SSAutoChromes. Looking at the HotShots after I took them off I discovered the flex pipe was deteriorating and they only had about 20k miles on them. I have had no other problems with them.

I haven't had any problems with the SSAutoChromes, either, but I have only about 5k miles on them.

I have not dyno'd the car since the switchover, but my seat-of-the-pants dyno tells me there is no difference in the power. Both were a significant improvement over stock.

One thing overlooked by several people about headers: the weight savings is significant over the oem manifold, cat and pipes, and it's coming off the heavy end of the car, too.

S

·
0 Posts
oldskool-nick said:
I got my SSAC header today! The auction ended sunday evening, and I got it this morning (tuesday) so that was a surprise.

Here is a pic of it:

I'm very happy with the overall quality. I have more pics if anyone wants to see them. Hopefully I will have it installed on Saturday.
man i wish my headers still looked like that.... enjoy the beautiful ss finish my friend, it wont last long after you install them. :(

1 - 20 of 40 Posts