MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my '85 running a little sluggish at around 5000 rpm and up in 3rd gear today. So I decided to make sure that the spark plug wires were secure. As I was inspecting the wires I noticed that the # 3 and 4 plug wires had coolant on them where they connect to the spark plugs. The car seems to run fine. I see no oil in the coolant or vice versa. The heater blows hot. Does this mean by HG is blown? The car runs great but seeing coolant on the plug wires makes me think otherwise. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
If the head gasket leaks you won't see any coolant outside the engine, it all leaks internally unless the leak is on the outside edges of the head and then it would just leak around the engine block, not in there. Just dry that out and it should be fine, just make sure that the big plug looking bolts in there where the spark plugs are aren't loose.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If you are seeing coolant on your sparkplug boots it's got to be coming from somewhere. Are you sure it was coolant? If yes, then I would check for a coolant leak.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks so if everything is tight, any ideas where the coolant is coming from. There is coolant in the spark plug valley around the 3 and 4 plugs. Thanks again.

·
Registered
140 Posts
are you absolutely sure it's coolant and not just water? Odds are if the HG is so bad that it makes the coolant get into the oil AND get up in the spark plug valley, you would notice coolant in the oil, not to mention a decrease in performance

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's definately coolant, the fluid is green and smells like coolant. Any ideas as to where I should start checking for leaks. Thanks a bunch for your help.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The large plugs that take an allen or hex head wrench are prone to leak. They need to be tightened or replaced. Look in the vacinity of the spark plugs and you'll se them Bob

·
Registered
140 Posts
sounds like the hg might be leaking between 3 and 4. No external leak would cause coolant to end up there. This is how i check for BHG's: Open the actual rad. cap (not the overflow) when the engine is cold. If the level is at the top, you're probably cool. If the level is down, and you have coolant left over in the overflow reservoir, you probably have a BHG or a cracked head or something (prob. just a bhg).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts