MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anybody here has made the yellow capsule that surrounds the foglight bulbs like the JDM ones have? The reason I'm asking is because I just got my motorized foglights on the mail and noticed the there was a piece of the yellow lense that was broken off in one of the housings.. Would it be possible to make this with like a yellow lexan to replace the ones that were supposed to be there or would the bulb be hot enough to warp or melt the lexan in the housing?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont want to paint the outside lenses yellow. I'm actually talking about the capsule on the inside of the foglight. Mine doesnt have the lenses in them because the broke off. I still have a small piece of the yellow lense that was rattling inside and managed to get it out, but i want to try to replace it or make my own.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would if i had all the pieces. but all i could fish out was a small, broken piece in one of the fog lights. i want the yellow lenses but dont have them because they took them out before they sold it to me. Which is why i found a broken piece in one.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
when i made my own "clear corners" back in the day, i'd go to the junkyard, pick out a nice piece of clear plastic and grind it to shape and silicone it in place.

i'm sure if you head out to the junkyard you'll be able to find a suitable piece of yellow plastic tail light or insert from a number of cars that you can grind to fit. I haven't seen the guts of a motorized set of fogs, so i can't say how it'd fit. I was going to do this with my normal fogs, but decided against it. I'm just going to get the yellow sticker thing that goes over the lens, which does 2 things, gives me a yellow light and protects the fog light glass.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know.... that a really good idea. I suprised that i didn't think of that. i was just concerned about the plastic replacement piece being soo close to the bulb. at least i still have the orginal piece to color match the lense and i guess make my one. I might head out to a hobby store and see if they have a stained glass the size and contour that i need. If i figure this out, I'll post updates. Until then, keep the ideas coming.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey you can find the exact yellow capsules your looking for on a 88-89 Prelude fogs at a junkyard or something. I know cause I did the exact thing to my lude. Since I had aftermarket fogs, I just siliconed the capsules into place and they've held with no problems.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Go to a Lexus Junkyard, All lexus's use either a 9006 or H4 bulb for their fogs. Either way they all utilize the yellow lense that you are asking for. Just get the fogs off of any model, take apart the fog housing. There lies the yellow lense.

-Aaron

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
REDPanda said:
what makes these so special? and btw does anyone know what bulb the stock fogs use? rex
they're motorized! so when you turn the wheel around a corner the lights are supposed to move with the steering at some sort of rate other than 1:1. you seen those lexus headlight commercials with a deer? jdm right?

uses H3

·
Registered
514 Posts
mrazntre said:
they're motorized! so when you turn the wheel around a corner the lights are supposed to move with the steering at some sort of rate other than 1:1. you seen those lexus headlight commercials with a deer? jdm right?

uses H3
this sounds like a very appealing (sp?) upgrade...

usdm uses H3's where as jdm uses H3C's??? or am i mistaken?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
REDPanda said:
this sounds like a very appealing (sp?) upgrade...

usdm uses H3's where as jdm uses H3C's??? or am i mistaken?
IIRC, i think you're right - I read something like that a while back but I can't 100% remmeber.

I just replaced my fogs with some H3's for the usdm mk2 so i'm positive this one's correct.

·
Registered
514 Posts
mrazntre said:
IIRC, i think you're right - I read something like that a while back but I can't 100% remmeber.

I just replaced my fogs with some H3's for the usdm mk2 so i'm positive this one's correct.
this is very good info.:thumbup .. now to find a nice bright yellow capsule h3... without killing the pocket book

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
REDPanda said:
this is very good info.:thumbup .. now to find a nice bright yellow capsule h3... without killing the pocket book
just get the yellow foglight protector things. it's yellow instantly! and only costs about 20 bux. plus you get foglight glass protection. :thumbup

·
Registered
514 Posts
mrazntre said:
just get the yellow foglight protector things. it's yellow instantly! and only costs about 20 bux. plus you get foglight glass protection. :thumbup
what's this projector thingee you speak of?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts