MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 S.C. just recently upgraded my pulleys and installed the grunt box, although the issue did not present its self immediately after installation.

Once the car gets up to temp, if I stop it, when I go to restart it it takes quite a bit of cranking to get it to fire. 8-10 times of turning the key and letting it crank for 10-15 seconds. I don’t get any studders or indications that it wants to start when I’m cranking it, until of course it starts to fire (it’s not like it’s almost about to start when I turn the key, just cranks and cranks). Once it does finally start to fire, it does studder a bit, and seems like it wants to stall out again for the first few seconds, and then is fine and runs great.

I’m not sure where to even start looking. I did a search and came up pretty empty handed. Any suggestions?! Thanks guys!

Dave

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I know that there is a FPU or Fuel Pressure Up vacuum valve on some Toyota engines that increases fuel for hot starting. Maybe yours is disconnected or not working.
This is a JDM SC but still might be similar. It connects to the fuel rail diaphragm.

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
I know that there is a FPU or Fuel Pressure Up vacuum valve on some Toyota engines that increases fuel for hot starting.
I think that the purpose of that valve is to break vapor lock, and I think that the cars will normally start just fine without it.

This is probably the result of a zero-tolerance policy for hot weather starting delays. In the early '80s, Toyota had some extremely embarrassing starting problems with their Corolla/Nova line. Brand new cars on the dealer lots would not start in the summer, and this could be an unrelated upshot of that.

With all that said, I suppose that this problem could be vapor lock. Does the fuel line run close to the exhaust, and are there any missing heat shields?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts