MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone happen to have any programmed (already tuned) maps available? The E6X I'm ordering comes with base maps, I was just wondering if anyone has already tuned theirs and would have some of their maps available. My setup is pretty basic for now, upgraded turbo, dual feed fuel rail, down pipe & 3" exhaust. That's really basically it I guess. Thanks.

T

·
Registered
827 Posts
A "tuned" map from a different car is worthless to you. Unless that car has the EXACT same mods as yours, the map will not properly run your car. It may get close, but you will still have to go back and adjust the fuel and timing maps.

Also, most people will not be very open to the idea of giving away a map they either:
a) Paid someone to create for them, often to the tune of several hundred dollars
b) Invested significant amounts of their own time and/or money creating through hours of street and dyno tuning.

·
Registered
415 Posts
go to haltech.com and email their tech dept they can actually email you a base map...just ask nicely and be sure you have a program that can unzip files... and if you want to make it plug n play just contact mrcontrols they offer a pnp harnes for the haltech....

·
Registered
382 Posts
are base maps just to help you get the car running? or are they actual complete maps of a standard 3sgte?

·
Registered
827 Posts
base maps come in several "flavors". No base map should ever be considered complete out of the box, but some are more complete than others.

Some very basic base maps only eliminate the need to configure things like crank/cam trigger settings, ignition setup, and rough sensor calibrations. The fuel and timing maps are often simple linear maps that require a great deal of tuning.

At the other end of the spectrum, some manufacturers have base maps available with rough fuel and ignition maps tailored to match your specific mods as closely as possible. These maps should allow you to drive the car off boost long enough to get it to your tuner unless you have a very unique/radical setup. The EMS manufacturer will need to know details about your car (mostly injector size, any aftermarket cam specs and turbo size) to choose and/or build an appropriate map.

In between you'll find maps of varying completeness. Most provide roughly tuned ignition and fuel maps, but only for a setup that is bone stock.

Many of the larger manufacturers simply do not have the time or desire to provide more complete maps since they support so many different makes and models that it would be difficult to maintain such a database.

The last time I looked (which was QUITE a long time ago!) Haltech only provided the first kind of base map I describe. As far as I know, we (MRControls) are the only distributor (with perhaps the exception of the other Nemesis resellers) to provide the second type of base map.

Again, I must stress the fact that NO base map should ever be considered tuned. Even if you only have a few modifications you should never trust a map that wasn't tuned ON YOUR CAR. You should never load a base map and just blast off down the road at full boost. There a very good chance you'll be paying for a rebuild in the near future!

·
Registered
382 Posts
what about the Apexi power FC i heard they already come tuned for the 3sgte 93-99 , does this mean if i connect it up to a stock 3sgte i can run it at standard boost with out visiting a tunner??

·
Registered
827 Posts
I've never worked with a powerFC, but from what I understand, the maps that come with it are pretty poor. Especially the timing map. Keep in mind that all of the programmable EMS systems used on the MR2 make use of speed density air "metering". Speed density has many advantages but it is not able to compensate for changes in VE the same way a real air metering system can (AFM or MAF). So, when you upgrade your exhaust, your mixture will lean out across the board since the EMS has no way to detect the extra airflow. The same goes for upgrading the turbo, intake system, manifold, cams, etc... anything that has an impact on the VE curve of the engine.

As for using a PowerFC on a stock 3SGTE at stock boost.. I'll say it again, never trust a speed density map that wasn't tuned on your car! At the very least, take the car down to your tuner to make sure the engine is safe to drive under boost. If you don't ask them to try to optimize the tune for you, it shouldn't cost you too much since it should be possible to tell if there are any problems with just one or two pulls on the dyno.

If you want some information about the PowerFC's base maps, I would talk to Bryan "NoShoes" Moore. He probably has the most experience tuning the PowerFC on the 3SGTE of anyone on the board. Maybe he'll chime in on this thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts