MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My right headlight went out a few days ago and I finally got around to replacing it. I went to the Autozone and bought a Sylvania XV. Popped it in and it wasn't as bright as my other light. Turns out the previous owner had the SilverStar variant.

So I've popped it out and am about ready to return it. However, I don't know if I should simply go get the SilverStar version, or if I should do the H4 conversion. Before my right bulb burned out, my lights felt pretty decent. I had fairly good visibility, but sometimes I wish I had more.

What is entailed in this H4 conversion? How do I do it? Am I going to have to mess with any of the wiring/replace the entire light housing? I've searched and searched, but all I can find are people saying to do the H4 conversion, not actually HOW to do it. Would someone fill me in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
557 Posts
H4's was one of the first things I've done on all of my "older" cars.

It's easy, but pricey. You replace the entire bulb setup.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Re-reading your post, maybe you should go look at the lamps at a parts store. Hella is the brand I have.

The wiring hooks up like a standard sealed beam, so there is nothing to re-wire.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I bought Hella e-code H4 housings, with Osram Silverstar blubs = Best bang for the buck lighting. It is amazingly bright, next best thing to HIDs. Do a search on Hella H4 housing and Osram Silverstar blubs, and use that set up, you won't be upset!

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I put the HELLA H4 conversion on my car...OMG huge difference. Highly recommend doing it. I think it cost about $80. You only have to do it once (thats the way I think of it).

·
Registered
257 Posts
commuter80119 said:
I'm looking at the Hella H4 conversion on http://www.rallylights.com/hella/200mm.asp
are all the different prices just the different bulbs that they come with?
I bought those same H4s and yes, I believe the different prices are for the different bulb options. I'm using the Sylvania +30% bulbs and the light output is great.

Having had experience with the 6054 silverstars and the Hella H4 w/"normal" bulbs, the H4s win, no contest. The beam pattern is so much better, even though it doesn't look as white.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Just bought a pair of Autopal H4 housings which should be here on Wed. People on here say they're great for the price (under $40 shipped), and approaching the quality of the Cibie housings. I'll post pics once they're installed.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The HIDs from the LExus LS430 fit perfectly in the MR2s headlight housing. All you need to do is splice the ballasts into the wiring harness. Thats what ive got in my car. Other then needing to adjusting the AIM of the HIDs its awesome, bright as fawk.

·
Registered
342 Posts
MisterMister said:
The HIDs from the LExus LS430 fit perfectly in the MR2s headlight housing. All you need to do is splice the ballasts into the wiring harness. Thats what ive got in my car. Other then needing to adjusting the AIM of the HIDs its awesome, bright as fawk.
Got any pixs of the wiring and night time photos..thanks!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts