MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Dont underestimate those 1.8T's. They are very good engines and I see a 3sgte hard pressed to match that without a lot of mods (cams, intake manifold, ems, etc.).That dyno is of a 1.8T with no engine mods besides the turbo and fuel (even stock ECU).

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didnt diss the 1.8L 20V engine at all, dont get me wrong.
I was just pointing out, that on a heavy modded or even moderatly modded 3s, this turbo might do wonders.

T

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Oh I didnt think you were dissing it, just stating that that is a very good engine and results will be hard to replicate without a lot of mods so people dont think they can do this with minimal mods.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything in perspective, the Audi engine is todays technology, and Audi has several real good engines.
And as people should know by now, getting past 300hp on the 3s is going to aquire more than just minimal modding.

For those that didnt get the memo, read Alza's email again...

T

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Im suprised this turbo isnt on more peoples A list. My goals are 200ft/lb by 3750rpm and 400whp on race gas for the drag strip which translates to 11's. Then around town it has quick spool and 325 - 350whp.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The GT3071 is the turbo that is going on my car next week. My exhaust mani. was the last part to come in and it came in on Thursday so I am set to go.
Should have everything finished in a month or so. I'll post the results.

Gary

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
I agree as well. The perfect turbo for your 400rwhp needs. A GT2871R would be a great turbo for 350rwhp. GT28RS would be perfect for 300rwhp.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have an early eXtremBoost GT30 kit,is that likely to be a GT3071?I still havent got any specs on it :(
Oh its a .6 A/R housing model too :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Cool,thanks Landjet,it confrims that spec on LB's site.
Whats the spec on yours?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
You can get the GT3071R-WG and fit it to the extremeboost GT28 kit with no probs for a great upgrade, i'm sure you can do this for around 2k for the kit from extremeboost, even cheaper if you already have the kit and want to go for more power.

I like the gt range as with one kit you can go from 350bhp to 500bhp+ with just swapping turbo's

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
jebsleo said:
I agree as well. The perfect turbo for your 400rwhp needs. A GT2871R would be a great turbo for 350rwhp. GT28RS would be perfect for 300rwhp.
I think you've got to be really careful in this line up. The GT28RS and GT3071R are Garrett configurations that appear on their site and have actual compressor and turbine maps. The GT2871R does not appear on the Garrett site. The ATP site uses the GT28RS map for the GT2871R...different wheels have different maps...red flag #1. HKS has the same turbo they called the GT-RS. This is the turbo that was originally used on JSantesson's car that RickyB wrote up about where he maxed out at 308 rwhp IIRC...red flag #2. I don't know if 350 whp would be possible or not but I do know that just putting a large compressor on a small turbine kills turbine efficiency and limits power...this was the whole problem with the EB GT25R.

I do think the GT3071R will be terrific though as the turbine wheel has been increased to perfectly match the compressor wheel. Unfortunately it uses a T3 flange which sucks for some of us. I guess if your engine's intake is going to utilize the higher flowing compressor the exhaust side is going to have to flow more and require the larger turbine to be happy. And the GT28RS is a winner.

I've been unable to find any ATP GT3071R-WG and GT3076R-WG maps anywhere...red flag #3. At least the GT3071R-WG has a slightly larger turbine wheel than the GT2871R (with the same compressor wheel) which would make it spool quicker and produce more power I think. It seems ATP is going the route of HKS where they offer every combination of wheels imaginable, and HKS has a lot of duds in their lineup.

Bruce

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bruce,

I did make 335 at 19 psi on the HKS gt-25rs turbo on my stroker motor. These turbo's want a ton of boost and I wasn't willing to be the guinea pig to test the limit. Ken the guy that brought these turbo's back from Japan did run it up the 25 psi on a 2.0 liter and made 375 rwhp I believe. I now have the SB t3/t4 50 trim and would like to test a gt30 someday. My car is pretty much done except I'd like to install an air to water intercooler someday. I have all the parts just have to make it fit with the A/C. John

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Hi John,

Your setup sounds very good. A comparison with a GT3071R would be interesting!

Bruce

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
jsantesson said:
Who sells just the Gt3071 turbo? Thanks and approx. how much is it?
www.atpturbo.com I think I payed around 1500$ with polished compressor and jet hot coated turbine housing with 4 inch inlet.

fyi Atps evo made over 400whp with race gas. I know the 2 can duplicate their sucess. The only question is who is going to do it first.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts