MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. i admit to not knowing a lot about turbos and specs and such, but can any one offer reasoning why the front end and center section/guts of a GT28RS couldn't be built with a stock ct26 (or other mr2 turbo) exhaust housing wrapped around it? does the GT28RS use a larger exhaust housing? the point here would be just to ease installation on an mr2 by using a housing that would bolt to the stock exhaust manifold and to stock or common aftermarket ct26/20b downpipes.

not possible at all?
possible?
any ideas?

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one has 2 cents on this at all?
guess i'm gonna just have ta call turbonetics or something...

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Neko,

It's good that you are thinking of other options, but it is really not feasible.

There IS a turbonetics exhaust housing that will bolt to the stock manifold and a garrett center section, unfortunately they built it for the MKIII supra so the A/R is WAY too big for an MR2. We tested one a couple of years ago and were less than satisfied.

You only option is have a custom housing either machined or cast, and the cost for that is very prohibitive. Adapters are cheap ;-)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've heard of a GT30 CHRA being fitted into a set of CT20B housings, so it may be possible, but I would have thought the the restriction of the CT26 exhaust housing would be the limiting factor anyway.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Neko,
we're actually making a housing to do just that (bolt to stock manifold and dp). At the moment we're doing our first production run of a different turbo, but once we've done this first set, we'll be offering an entire line of bolt on garrett turbo's.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Upgrading the CT-26 compressor wheel is no big deal. After that, the exhaust housing is the big bottleneck so reusing the exhaust housing is a non starter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts