MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1992 SW20 Turbo
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grinding noises coming from all 4 wheels at the moment, see attached imgur video. It's like this when the car is on the ground as well, buddies just shrug and say it's whatever but no other car I've had has made these noises without there being something wrong and looking up the problem online provides unsatisfactory answers. Posting here to verify whether I am just going insane or there is actually something that needs to be fixed, can't enjoy driving this thing with that noise after all.

Took the brakes apart to check whether it might be something other than that, the noise isn't there when the pads and/or disk are removed so it must be related to that, right? First image below the video shows the position of the piston with the parking brake off and no brakes being applied. second image is what the pads and disk look like together, again nothing being applied here. I am stuck with the idea that the piston is too far forward for one reason or another.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,897 Posts
It's the disks rubbing lightly against the pads. Normal unless it's really difficult to turn the wheels by hand. OEM pads have two "V' shaped springs per rotor to help pull the pads back when you let off the brakes, in order to minimize this. But those springs often go missing after a few brake jobs. Some aftermarket pads lack the holes in the backing plates to use them.

·
Registered
1992 SW20 Turbo
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the disks rubbing lightly against the pads. Normal unless it's really difficult to turn the wheels by hand. OEM pads have two "V' shaped springs per rotor to help pull the pads back when you let off the brakes, in order to minimize this. But those springs often go missing after a few brake jobs. Some aftermarket pads lack the holes in the backing plates to use them.
Front wheels continue to spin when giving them a light push but keep the noise, rear wheels are significantly louder, not that hard to turn since I can do it with one hand and a firm push. Previous owner changed brakes and pads so who knows what they put in there. Doesn't look OEM in any case.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,897 Posts
The calipers may need to be rebuilt. The piston seal ring also acts to pull the piston back a little bit when you let off the brakes. If that's not happening, then the pads will drag on the rotor more than normal.

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
What kind of shape re the rotors in? What kind of pads are you using? How old are the brake hoses? How old are the calipers? How old is the master cylinder? I'm going to assume most of these parts are pretty old. You may want to start by doing a brake system overhaul. Parts really aren't that expensive and it's pretty easy to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts