MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am looking at getting a slightly used (5K miles) Greddy turbo upgrade (TD06) or a new ATS CT27 upgrade kit. If I was to get the GReddy kit, I would probably get the external wastegate upgrade for it from ATS as well to eliminate any potential probelms.

I am looking to make to most relioable power for my daily driver and dont require much more then 250WHP (more is always better, but thats good enough).

Which do you think I should go for?

Also what should I do about the ECU regardless of which I get?

-Joe

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
i am in the same boat as you, and im not sure if i should screw with the ecu or not. 250 reliable horsepower is my goal as well but im not sure what to do to avoid blowing up my engine.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
lol, argh. lets work on this together then! :)

-joe

ATS has a form to fill out for their ECU ROM tune. It includes options for almost every mod. The cost is ~650 bucks. Im wondering if this includes a new ECU or if I have to send in mine first (cant do that). ALso Im wondering how well this will work since its not being done on a dyno.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
i am getting the berk intercooler, the ngk low temp spark plugs, a tko exhuast, twosrus mbc, ats ct-27, and possibly an intake. i wonder if that will be sufficient fo 250 reliable whp?

·
Registered
117 Posts
red_91duece said:
i am getting the berk intercooler, the ngk low temp spark plugs, a tko exhuast, twosrus mbc, ats ct-27, and possibly an intake. i wonder if that will be sufficient fo 250 reliable whp?
Get a HKS FCD also, I think the stock 91 turbo is limited to 12psi of boost.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts

Assuming the power bug won't bite you again soon, the td06 gives you unnecessary lag for those goals; the ct27 will give you daily pump gas 250rwhp fun.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
ATS can work on your ecu or do a core.
If you want 250 rwhp and want it reliable, the ct27 upgrade kit is probably a better decision than a td06SH. You would still want to do some tuning etc to get the TD06 optimized. The boost creep will always be an issue unless you go for supporting mods to run higher boost or get external wastegate. You can get the CT27, fuel upgrades and retuned ecu for less than a decent TD06 external wastegate kit.
If you want to see over 300rwhp on the street, you should consider the TD06 or something like a t3/t4. The CT27 will get you there, but only on high boost/race gas tune. The gt28rs will get you similar/better power to the ct27 with the possible potential for more power at higher boost levels, but will cost you as much or more than a TD06 and have less power potential.
And btw, rom tune eliminates fuel cut and speed cut.(where applicable)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I should go with the ATS CT27 kit with the 255lph pump, 550cc injectors, tuned ROM, and of course the CT27. My only thing with that kit is the internal wastegate. Im not a big fan of those. Wont this have the same boost creep problems as the GReddy TD0H kit since they both have internal WGs?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
MisterMister said:
I guess I should go with the ATS CT27 kit with the 255lph pump, 550cc injectors, tuned ROM, and of course the CT27. My only thing with that kit is the internal wastegate. Im not a big fan of those. Wont this have the same boost creep problems as the GReddy TD0H kit since they both have internal WGs?
Actually no, the factory toyota WG is superior to the greddy. Really a greddy WG works pretty well if you don't do a lot of exhaust mods. But the CT-26/27 rarely have creep issues, and the ones that seem to creep usually have another problem (tuning etc...)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea Arron was kind enough to go over that with me. Is there some deal to get the CT27 upgrade kit w/ the 2.5" downpipe?

·
Registered
721 Posts
MisterMister said:

...Have ATS port your internal gate on your CT27 like I had them do to mine when I got it.

result...zero creep... :thumbup

Scott

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
ATS_Scott said:
Actually no, the factory toyota WG is superior to the greddy. Really a greddy WG works pretty well if you don't do a lot of exhaust mods. But the CT-26/27 rarely have creep issues, and the ones that seem to creep usually have another problem (tuning etc...)

Doesnt the factory ct26 have 2 internal wastegates?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts