MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm currently helping a local club member with a clutch/tranny job. When I did my clutch job, I greased up the new stock Toyota throwout bearing and input shaft. When the car was all together, I had a really annoying squeak at idle which I'm told is because I didn't grease up the clutch fork.

Where exactly do you apply the grease to prevent this from happening? Here's a pic...

Which grease should be used? Lithium, all purpose?

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
when i do clutch jobs i :

1) thoroughly clean t/o bearing slide surface (input shaft housing) and apply a light layer of anti-sieze (not too much though!)

2) clean clutch fork thoroughly and use HD grease (from my grease gun) where the pivot is inside the trans bellhousing -- clean that off well also

3) add a dab of grease where the slave cylinder rod contacts the clutch fork on outside of trans

do this and shouldn't have any squeaking issues -- also make sure t/o bearing is properly installed on the fork and shaft too ;)

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
need to remove the fork from trans to do this though -- just "pop" it off the pivot in the trans -- easy to do.........

·
Registered
919 Posts
I don't suppose this is something that could be done with the tranny on the engine, is it?

Ever since I put the motor and tranny back in the car over a year ago, I've had the same annoying squeak that Pat described. It drives me crazy! The new Toyota TOB was nice and lubed up on the inside, so I thought everything would be fine - I was wrong.

If there is ANY feasible way of doing this while everything is in the car, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I found mine to squeak where the slave cylinder pushes on the end of the release fork. Try reaching up and putting some heavyweight grease on this spot and maybe it will fix it. There's a greater chance the noise is coming from the fork piviot point though which cannot be accessed with the tranny on the engine.
I also replaced the pivot support for my release fork last time I had the tranny out and it fixed the release fork rattle at idle I was having.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
We're looking at having to do this also with one of our cars as it doesnt appear to have been lubed by the last engine builder..

However, this is more than just a squeak. Over a period of maybe 1000kms.. it went from fine to squeaking so badly that the clutch sticks and the fork needs to be hit with a hammer to engage the clutch. This makes me think the spline is a bit sticky and unlubricated... as I cant see the pivot point being so bad that it'd stick against the force of a 1000lb pressure plate.

Any thoughts? I am considering popping off the rubber cover for the fork and using a long grease gun to try and lube it without pulling the tranny off

-Tristan

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
That was my initial thought Pat.. so I removed the slave and moved it in and out via the clutch pedal.. its smooth as a baby's gluteus maximus.. and the fork moves very smoothly for the little bit of play it has before it hits the pressure plate which makes me think the pivot point is fine... it just squeaks and grips at the end of its stroke along the spline

-Tristan

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
squeeking on my car is really starting to bother me.... my warranty is up in 4 days... do you guys think i should take it back and tell them to re-do it? nothing wrong with the clutch its just the bird chirping and squeeking that's driving me nuts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts