MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
20v Super Two
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the Feb 2006 issue in the mail today and it has a VERY extensive 7 page writeup on their suspension overhaul. Kbox and MR2OC both get a positive mention too :)
Favorite quote from the article: "While the original MR2 is one of the finest cars ever placed on this planet, it is not blessed with a huge aftermarket."

·
Registered
356 Posts
Everytime I go to my local barnes and noble store I go straight to the rack to see if the new GRM is out, so I can look for the recent MK1 project. Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna have to go look for the new issue :)

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
this month... coil-overs (koni's w/ GC) and sways (ST).
my father has a subscription, and i usually skim it before tossing it in his to-read pile.
i'm not overly excited about project mk1, but it is really nice to at least see one getting some press. J.G.'s doing some good homework, and i haven't been too afraid yet of the direction the car is going.

Keep up the good work. :)

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
you won't be afraid because I'm pretty sure David Hawkins aka twosrus.com is sponcering that car :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
mister2sc88 said:
you won't be afraid because I'm pretty sure David Hawkins aka twosrus.com is sponcering that car :)
Why is that a reason not to be afraid? :smile:

should be interesting to see.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
mister2sc88 said:
Actually, I don't have anything to do with it. JG has bought a couple of parts from me, but if there's extensive purchasing going on from me, he's doing it through a proxy.

·
Duck Tape Level
1,331 Posts
Does anyone know when the issue will be in the stores? It wasn't in Barnes and Noble last night.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey Y'all

First off, happy holidays, whichever ones your people celebrate.

Glad some of your liked the story so far. It's tough to walk that line between hardcore tech and shadetree sensibility sometimes, especially with a car like this. Anyway, I appreciate any and all feedback, good and bad, as it certainly helps focus the future stories.

David's right, there's no official link other than I've bought a few parts. I do try to get a mention of MR2OC, TwosRUS and kbox in all the stories I can mostly because I thnk it's awesome what these guys are doing. (By the way, Jody, I'm going to send you that quad ring next week). They've basically created the restoration aftermarket for these cars, and that's cool. Plus, MR2OC is one of the best sources of info on any car I've ever seen. I refer here as much as to the BGB.

Anyway, you'll be seeing more MR2 goodness in subsequent issues. Most likely the next installment will have some dyno testing on an exhaust and some homemade intake plumbing. How's that for grassroots?

See ya

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports

·
20v Super Two
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow very cool - didn't know you were on the board!
I really enjoyed the article. It's great to see our car get mention anywhere, but it's even better that it's coupled with such an in depth write up. You got technical, but you presented it with a good sense of humor - great stuff.
It was interesting to read about the balancing of the suspension, it doesn't get much mention around here.
It's nice reinforcement too for everyone that's always asking, "how can I make my MK1 faster?" Two seconds off your laptime is a very impressive testament to the importance of tires and suspension!
I'll be following your article very closely next spring when I overhaul my suspension. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I'm just extremely glad to see the car I own as a project vehicle. I'm sick of reading about projects on every car but mine!

·
Registered
552 Posts
J.G., while I hadn't *planned* to use your project MR2 as research and inspiration for my own (which I intend to bring to the $2006 Challenge), it's certainly great that it's working out that way. :thumbup My car came with Eibachs, which I like, and drove well on in our $2004 Challenge Saturn. Could be improved, though, and the thought's crossed my mind of snagging a cheapie eBay Miata coilover set and modifying it to fit an MR2 as detailed here for a craptastic version of your killer Ground Control setup.

I've read you can't squeeze a whole lot more power out of a 4AGE with bolt-ons, but I'll be looking forward to your intake/exhaust tests to get what I can. My G-Tech already measured a significant increase my taking out the stock tubing and slapping a K&N cone on it. (Keep in mind that mine's an '87, with the intake in the trunk, unlike your '85.)

Loving it! Keep up the good work, and see you (again) in Gainesville!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
cant find a GRM, hope this shows up on your guys websites soon,

i should admit mr2oc really helped me decide on a mr2, and to be more specific it helped me decide on a mki, screw 0-60 in less then 6, i want a well balanced, somewhat forgiving car with a high potential, and not much this side of street cred(well street cred as in what ricers think of it)

just had my wisdom teeth taken out today, sorry if theres errors, im really groggy but well!

must find GRM NOW!!(at 1:27 AM hehe) or not

·
Registered
73 Posts
cant find a GRM
On the newsstand, Barnes and Noble is your best bet. Pretty much every B&N should carry us. Beyond that, it's hit or mis, which is, unfortunately, one of the sad realities of being an independent magazine. Major bookstores like B&N, Borders, Brentano's, Books A Million, are probably a better bet than mall-type bookstores,though.

We also show up in unexpected places. Every once in a while I'll see us at a grocery store, or convenience store, or airport,and have little idea how we got there. Usually it turns out to be a promotion we thought we had tried months ago that the distribution company screwed up and was just now happening.

If it sounds like I'm bitter about the sad and corrupt state of newsstand distribution for independent titles, it's only because I am.

Of course, you could always subscribe...

Happy New Year everyone.

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports

·
Registered
352 Posts
Chapters carries GRM as I recall.

I have an 87 NA that I am trying very hard to make into my perfect car. Admittedly i'm not going to get 200hp out of it sadly (probably wont get 120bhp).. but i've recently had it port & polished and i'm redoing my suspension (eibach.. and.. something not decided on yet) and intake. I will probably wait and see what GRM comes up with for intake solutions before I go crazy with parts.

So far I have merely done the AFM mod.. and while this certainly gets a bit more air into the system, I feel its taking in far too much HOT air. The difference between cool mornings and the afternoon is horrible.

·
Ontario's first MK1.5,'05
5,126 Posts
Up in Canada we get them at Chapter, have seen them in a few convenince stores, etc... the only down side is we are like 3 weeks behind in the next month issue availability.

Martin

·
Registered
283 Posts
JG,
Are you going to be joining Per, and Dave out at the auto-cross course next year? Was just reading a thread on a new original exhaust system, and it's the same old speculation stuff about whether back-pressure is good or bad for our engines. Personally I've noticed improvements and deficiencies with different systems. Would like to see comparison done on a dyno though. Would be interested in the intake system plumbing, done a few mods myself, but still would like to learn a new GRM way.
Rick B.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts