MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 5SFE and it runs great i love the car, i just put a new distributor cap and rotor new NGK plugs and wires and adjusted the timing because it was way off wack...but when it rains it doesnt want to start, only rain or moisture though, it starts up fine on a normal day or even with a foot of snow on it, but when it rains it wont start, it cranks fine but doesnt start. I was thinking that water is getting into my distributor because it is right underneath the whole that is in the engine lid, i was wondering if anyone else has this problem, i am thinking about taking off my distributor cap and putting a bead of silicon around it and putting it back on good idea or no?

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I used silicone on a distributor cap on an old car I had. It worked. Isn't there a gasket on the Toyota cap? It's been awhile since I had mine off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no there wasnt a gasket, in my repair manuals it said there should be a gasket but when i got the new cap and took the old on off there was no gasket which i thought was wierd

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
another question i got is if everyones engine bay is getting all wet because of that whole in the engine lid? like im trying to make my car into show quality and its kinda pointless to clean the engine if when it rains its going to ruined again

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
You need a gasket between the cap and distributor housing.

I have them in stock if you are interested in buying one.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Timmy1288 said:
another question i got is if everyones engine bay is getting all wet because of that whole in the engine lid? like im trying to make my car into show quality and its kinda pointless to clean the engine if when it rains its going to ruined again
The only way to keep it show quality is to park it inside and not drive it in the rain.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Check ur ignition coil wire. It could be getting wet at the ignition coil connection and it wont let the car start. This happened to me too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ilovemymr2 said:
Check ur ignition coil wire. It could be getting wet at the ignition coil connection and it wont let the car start. This happened to me too.
if that is the problem, how do i fix it?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I forgot the name of what i used. The stuff i use is like a greasy silicone used for spark plug wires. Just go to ur local part store and ask for something like it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts