MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not an car lift, but at least it can lift half of it up. Came at the perfect time, too, since I'll be throwing a gze block in soon. My grandpa called me up this morning to tell me that pep boys was selling it for $100 after rebate. Even offered to pay for half, so I couldn't pass it up.

And thanks to its compact design I can actually fit it into my garage.

Now the question, what's the best method to swap engines using this? I was thinking of dropping the engine with the car level using the hoist, then after the engine is on the ground, using the hoist to lift the car over the engine using the tow hooks (probably removing the bumper). Anyone got a better method?

·
Registered
735 Posts
that is what i did. It might be a tad easier to hoist the car up last with the front tires on a 4x4 or something similar. With my GZE engine I had clearance problems because of the angle of the cars rear in the air.

I just use the tow hooks on the back of the car and a 3.5inch wide heavy duty ratch-it strap.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
look in the FAQ for how carl did his swap...

i kept my car fairly low for when i droped the engine (just nuff to get under the car and do the work) then lifted the car when the engine was on the ground... seemed to work nicely

mark

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
basically you're lowering the car onto the motor.

just jack up the car with jacks on both sides right in front of the rear wheels at the jackpoints. (it helps to use a 4x4 or soemthing on your jack for more height)

for removal, just stick a decent board (thick enuf to hold couple hundred pounds, and say, square, about as wide as the hoist legs) across the hoist legs. slide the hoist under the car, hook up the motor, undo the mounts, and drop it down onto the board. disconect the hoist, and jack the car up till you can roll the motor out from underneath (this will be with the back end about 4-5 feet in the air).

to install..do the reverse.
put your new motor on the board. roll it under the car, then just lower the car over it and when the car is down as far as its goin, pick up the engine again and move it up the remaining distance into place. bolt up at least the two side engine mounts and you're good to go from there.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
When I took the engine I just put the engine on car[et and slid it. It worked great, but getting the engine back under was a little hard. And when I lifted the car up I didnt put anything under the front tires; the front spoiler was bearly touching the graound.

Kyle

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips.

Yeah, that's an 84 GPz. Still haven't gotten the title from the owner though, so for now it's just there for looks.

Now to wire up my MS so I can get around to swapping the motor.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
carpet works, alright. but since you have a nice wheeled hoist..why not use it :D
its much faster to drag a motor around the garage on the hoist rather than on carpet or a pallet.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
I bought that same hoist for my swap a couple of months ago :D we raised the car lowered the engine with the hoist.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts