MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya i have a 91 N/A i kinda want a short shifter. What are some good ones and are they hard to install?

·
270whp on a CT26...
3,458 Posts
i really like my TRD short shifter, although it is rather pricey and some people think it's "notchy".

twosrus.com also makes a very good shifter kit.

-Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
93 shifter with a rse drop plate. Throw is much shorter, doesn't require too much effort, and shifter height is just right.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
i hace tried the trd and b&m short shifters. i liek'em all. knock offs have been known to work just as well also. all worked fine for me, though some of the kncok offs arent made as well as others.

as far as installing a short shifter, it took me an hour the first time (+ goofing off) i can do it now in probably 15 minutes. check out this pdf file from b&m it should get u going and help out alot...

http://www.bmracing.com/media/products/pdf/76.pdf

i know its for b&m, but installation is pritty much the same for trd and the b&m.

the shift knob (oem) is screwed on, if its glued just turn harder it should come off. (counter clock wise) if its aftermarket lower the shift boot at the base, there might be screws holding it in. get those off and u should be set

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ahh so i dont have to get under the car? thats the main reason i was worried

sweet

and do these come with everything i need? (grease and all that)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I used some knock-offs and they didn't feel as comfortable, and the TRD I thought was notchy when you shifted. I have only had a B&M in my car, but my bro had an mr2 and he had a few.

·
Registered
173 Posts
PINOIZE said:
If you have a stock intake box and don't want to remove it, then you would most likely have to get under the car. It's always been easier for me.
im lost, ive never changed the shifter my self so im assuming you are joking?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
maybe he got confused and thought we are talking about the shift cables. thats the only thing i could think of shift related that u would go under the car or remove the intake box for.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol i was about to say, cuz the whole tutorial is done without going under the car

ya i kinda want the b&m but its way to expensive. I probly wont know how much better it is unless i have somethin to compare it to so i dont think i would be sad with the cheaper ones

theyd all install the same just about right?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
correct, unless u somehow find some new magical way to do it ;)

ever thought about getting a ebay knock off?

·
Registered
378 Posts
i just bought TwosRus shift bushings and an OBX short shifter (B&M knock off) for less than half the price of the real one. Im going to install it sometime today and I'll let you know how it feels.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.