MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a couple of days ago I was an idiot (huge) and got a 65 in a 30 mph zone. Thats gonna cost me. Then on the way to my lawyer from that ticket, I didnt glance at my speedo to notice I was doing 42 in a 30 and got clocked again in a place I knew was a speed trap in the first place. 2 tickets in the same day, what ever happen to the good old fashioned warning?? Well both times I would of been saved by a simple radar detector im pretty sure of. So Im on ebay looking for radar detectors less than 100 dollars. I would go out and get a valentine one, but I got legal fees to worry about first. I say no more to pigs with radars!

So now im looking for radar detectors on ebay. I see all different kinds of whistler brands that I hear are great for the dollar

Who makes the best for less than a hundred bucks? Give me full names and personal experience, Im going to buy what people suggest.

·
Registered
451 Posts
the passport 8500 is the poor man's v1, you can get one for less than $200-250. I have one and can sell you a little less than that if you want, email me [email protected]

I had a ticket too the second week I had my car, luckily the officer wrote the wrong date on the ticket and wrong the wrong state plate on it too

I am having a tougher time fighting my $120 PARKING TICKET in NYC!!!!!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I got the passport 8500 also. I usually just take it to my trips to Tahoe since there was a few occasions of a stationary cop shooting the gun. However the location of the speed trap was in the rural mountains and not on urban freeways. My detector has almost never gone off on urban freeways, 101, 880, I-80, etc. Cops tend to pace first, and shoot after. I drive much more cautiously on these freeways.

Now to your quest to find a cheap detector. My friend had a inexpensive cobra detector that performed near my 8500. We tested it by going across the Bay Bridge
which has some sort of X radar. I was able to pick up the signal a few seconds before his reacted but that's about all the difference.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I've tried radars in every price range. I started out with the under $100 ones, then kept working up until I had a passport 8500. The passport was the only one that worked ok.

Then I got a new V1 and realised that all the rest sucked. But the 8500 gets second place.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Slow down until you can afford an 8500 or V1. Stay out of third in 30 zones.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
I like the passports. One has to know how to use a radar detector if one wants to speed and avoid tickets otherwise it'll just confirm that you got clocked.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Ive learned my lesson from 2 tickets in one day, not to speed, however I would like a warning device for those times you forget to glance at your speedo, like I did on the 2nd ticket. 65 in a 30 is pretty deliberate, and Im guilty, they caught me with my hand in the cookie jar, but once again, times like those I may have been saved by a radar detector, although if she just used it once another car came along, I still would of been ____ed cause I only REALLY speed on non busy roads, cause if your gonna do something dangerous, might as well make a half assed attempt to not risk other lives than your own. But I was still an idiot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts