MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all; just got my beautiful beast a couple of months ago: 2002 w/only 12,700 miles on it! And it has been the joy of my life the past couple of months until 2 days ago when an idiot of a dump truck driver made a right hand turn from the left lane & tried his best to run over me. No bodily injury, but my psyche is still in shock.

Since it was in pristine condition, I'm looking for a really good shop to take the time & TLC necessary to make the repairs. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks much all! Happy trails...Steve

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
D&V autobody off RT606.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
PM 6xxx on here. He might have a hook on paint jobs. His boy is local too.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
D&V is very good. They also work on hi-end cars like lambo's ect.

Just had my car in that shop and was very pleased.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
they seemed decent to me. From the places ive had experiences with, this place is very good.

it was ~900 dollars to replace the crashbar, pad, repaint the bumper and wetsand a few area's and detail the whole car. The paint was perfect.

to be honest, this was the first time ive ever been happy after leaving a body shop

·
Registered
211 Posts
D&V, my experience was a little different. I had them fix my Infiniti (about 6 months ago) after being rear ended, I had to stay on top of them constantly. Depending on the rep you get they can be pain on getting them to actually do what they have agreed to and the body work just plain sucked the first round. They tried to blame the bumper cover was distorted, but their saying it was finished (after ten days) was a joke. I forced them to replace it and fix the problems. I still am not fully happy with the result. Yes, they work on high end cars, but don't trust them.

The first time they said it was done, there was a .25" gap between the bumper cover and quarter panel. :thumbdown

Almost forgot, they parked my car out front when I went to pick it up (the second time) and it had three long door scrapes. They were trying to make it look like someone else caused the scrapes, but this is the QX56 SUV and they scrapes were on the top half of the door and way too long for a car door. Only possibility is a service cart.

·
SW20 FTW
505 Posts
Quality Auto Body in Fairfax, VA.

I can also ask my bosses. We recondition wheels for D&V and Wagonworks, and tons of other body shops in the area. They've probably got a good feel for the quality of work that comes out of a lot of them.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I had my 2 at D&V like a 6 weeks ago, they seemed very nice at first but then would never call me back when I wanted them to do some other stuff.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Wow, check out the reviews online for DandV (supposedly the "best" shop in the area) and then check out Quality Auto Body. I know where I'll be going for an estimate... I'm also going to check out Revision Auto Salon. I'll report back on any impressions.

J.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
lumbercis said:
Wow, check out the reviews online for DandV (supposedly the "best" shop in the area) and then check out Quality Auto Body. I know where I'll be going for an estimate... I'm also going to check out Revision Auto Salon. I'll report back on any impressions.

J.
where did you see these reviews?

either way, Ive been to chantilly autobody and pohanka autobody. Both were garbage. Chantilly autobody billed me for oem parts and I recieved cheap aftermarket and they didnt do half of the work I paid for. Pohanka was pretty much the same. half the stuff I paid for didnt get done, and the stuff that was done, was done so poorly the paint was already bubbling. They creased one of my doors as well which they did fix, but it was half-assed.

D and V for me was fantastic. Yes, I will admit, they were horrible at returning calls. But the final work was perfect, paint matched perfect AND no orange peel.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
^Just google reviews. It's not that D and V's reviews were particularly bad (I don't consider one or two bad reports to mean much, since no business makes every customer 100% happy), but Quality just had a lot of people that bothered to leave glowing reviews.

Unfortunately, I went by Quality today and was told (politely) that they are getting out of doing rust resto work, which I need. I was given a wide ballpark of $1500-$2500 for rust repair (two quarter panels and a couple underbody spots) if they were to do the work, which they won't. I asked for a ballpark on a basic respray and they said they start at $3000 on the low end. I got the impression this place was just interested in insurance collision repair work and not old sports car restos anymore.

I then went over to Revision Auto Salon. It was dark by the time I got there, so they weren't able to get a good look, but I again described the rust repair work I needed done. He guesstimated from my description that the rust repair would start around $1500. But I'm making an appointment to go back so they can put it on a lift. I expect they'll find a couple other spots that need to be taken care of so it wouldn't surprise me if the rust repair ended up at $2000-$2500. They emphasized that they are one of the few shops happy to take on rust repairs and they have an experienced rust guy on staff.

I asked about a basic respray (minus the rust repairs I need) and he said they could do a basic "race" paint job starting at $1500. They would still be removing the mouldings and accessories and such, but it was just a real basic respray with no body work included. He showed me as an example an Evo that they were going to repaint because of a bad Maaco job. The car was in perfect shape other than the paint though, so bodywork other than basic prep would add to the cost.

They said that their "full resto" job started at about $4500. He pointed to a classic Dodge Challenger shell that was pretty much down to bare metal when he said this (although when questioned he said the level of work on the challenger was a bit more than what $4500 would get you).

The shop was clean and orderly for the most part, with a nice variety of cars being worked on from a sedan of some sort, a Scion tC, Evo 9, FD RX-7, up to an old exotic of some kind and the aforementioned Challenger. That made me feel better about the place as I don't want to take my car to a place that works on such high end stuff that they would look down on my little toyota project and not do as good a job as they could.

Also, I like that they said they would put it on the lift and give me a written estimate. Seemed very professional.

I think Revision is likely to get my money, but I'm still thinking about going by D&V just for grins. I get the impression though that they aren't that interested in this kind of work and wouldn't be surprised if they weren't willing to deal with me for less than $3000 (for a respray). Also, bad communication is a pet peeve of mine, which it seems D&V is often guilty of. Then again, I might be surprised...

J.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Also try Mr. Spoiler in Manassas. Seen a bunch of there work too. Top notch.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
95sw21 said:
where did you see these reviews?

either way, Ive been to chantilly autobody and pohanka autobody. Both were garbage. Chantilly autobody billed me for oem parts and I recieved cheap aftermarket and they didnt do half of the work I paid for. Pohanka was pretty much the same. half the stuff I paid for didnt get done, and the stuff that was done, was done so poorly the paint was already bubbling. They creased one of my doors as well which they did fix, but it was half-assed.
Damn, I wish I had known this before I had my car dropped off at Chantilly Autobody Friday to get my rear end fixed. What exactly did they do if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
vtsuckah said:
Damn, I wish I had known this before I had my car dropped off at Chantilly Autobody Friday to get my rear end fixed. What exactly did they do if you don't mind me asking?
Well, I was rear ended pretty hard in my old ranger. I had the flareside bed (all fiberglass, with the steps in front of the tires. well anyways, when I was hit, it bent the bumper down and put 2 big holes right behind the bumper. Well, they did a terrible job repairing that (started to crack within a few months of them fixing it). I paid for them to use all ford oem parts and they used aftermarket stuff. I wouldnt have noticed it but the original bumper plastics were grey and the aftermartet was black.. so it looked terrible front to back haha. I also paid for them to repaint the whole bed of the truck and they only touched up where the fiberglass work was done. The paint was spider cracked in a few areas and completely missed it when it was there.

They ended up doing the whole repair over again, but still only half assed it. It wasnt terrible, but I wouldnt go back there again. But to be honest, it was alot better than pohanka's auto body shop.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I'm having them repair my 91 NA. After one helluva fight, the insurance company agreed to fix my car, reassessed the damage to be $4500, and cut me a check for that amount. I think the insurance adjuster had his head up his ass when he came up with the number, which includes fender work (fenders are untouched). I'm supplying most of the parts for a fraction of the cost so that I can hopefully pocket some cash for a few goodies. But after reading what you wrote, I'm thinking that they'll jerry rig the repair to eat up that entire $4500.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts