MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI! I'm just trying to head myself in the right direction and to see if I can straighten out some things I've been wondering. I was wondering If I would be able to run a SAFC2 with this turbo setup? I'm still compiling a list to see what I need. I'm trying to get a ballpark cost to see what I can do. I know I can safely run about 5psi of boost with the stock 4age pistons.. 9.4:1 I believe. I'll eventually upgrade to gze rods and pistons when I get a chance. As well as getting my head rebuild and using arp everything. If I'm missing anything let me know guys!

Car Specs:
'85 w/ Late model Largeport
Engine is stock

Current Turbo List:
DSM T-25
Manifold?? Still looking
Downpipe?? Still looking
Spearco A2W TMIC
DSM 450 Injectors
Apexi SAFC2..
+ Lots of tuning? Can the AFM mod work to help richen it up?
Supra Fuel Pump

·
Registered
217 Posts
t25 is fine...I run 9psi on my stock silvertop 20v and it held up great so far till redline. Manifold- if you have the $500 you can get one made, or go the JGStools route and weld your own for under 200. Same with downpipe...A2W is a good idea unless you want to cut the trunk or engine lid, since the only A2A IC's that fit without cutting are nearly worthless. DSM 450's will take you far. I'd dump the afc, get a megasquirt, screw the supra fuel pump, walbros are cheaper and good enough, and the stock fuel pump should be good for 9psi at least with 450's anyway. Don't forget a hundred bucks for oil feed/return lines, another 50 for water lines if you get the tunertoys kit online. If you choose to make a log manifold get the hayden oil filter relocation kit with some -10 AN lines (about 150-200 total) since the oil filter on the 4age makes mid engined turbo setups a bitch due to firewall clearnace....

good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
This can apply to you or any one who might be interested... have you thought of eliminating all th Apex items or similar for just an extra injector controller? all you need for 8-9 psi of boost is two stock injectors and no need for extra fuel pump.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
217 Posts
not a bad idea, however, now you need a way to retard timing. AFC's/EIC can dump all the fuel you want BUT if you're detonating because you have 36deg timing at full boost they won't help you. Also, if you're using a DSM turbo, remember that the DSM t25 (and 14b's also I beleive) have a wastegate actuator that doesn't open until around 9psi. A boost controller won't help you lower it, only an external wastegate or a different actuator.

Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Of course..I would suspect the twist of your distributor would help some but true it will only take you so far until you get into EMS.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
mann said:
since the only A2A IC's that fit without cutting are nearly worthless.
good luck!
Not to downplay the A2W setups I personally think they are a great way to go, I've got a really well designed A2W on one of my other 4 cylinder turbo cars.

However.. the A2A that came in the HKS turbo kit works great.. no cutting, no welding, great temp drops, It's worked fine for the last 15 years it's been on the car...

The A2A setup just needs to be located properly.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Under/in front of the transaxle with a scoop on it to pull cold air from under the car up through it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts