MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any useful feedback on these cars? I found a 98 vette with 78k miles. I have driven my brothers several years ago and it seemed to handle/brake alright. Power was a bit weak from what I was expecting and the ergonomics were not so good. I would probably throw on a supercharger if I were to get the car.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I really like the C5 as well. All the other years dont do it for me. A shame 70% of them are automatics.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless there are any differences to the chassis between the Z06 and the LS1 I would rather have an LS1 and supercharge it.

Insurance costs being one of the reasons

·
Registered
973 Posts
Unless you're getting a deal you can't refuse, why bother? You don't sound all that excited or confident about your decision, or maybe I'm just reading too much into your posts. I'd suggest waiting until you find a car (Vette or otherwise) you don't feel like you have to modify extensively to fully appreciate, otherwise you risk never being trully satisfied with your purchase or losing your value-for-the-money quotient.

Lately I've gone through a stage of lusting after purchase of a sporty car (sub $20k Boxster or 2001-ish 5-series w/ MT) or a big TV (42"+ DLP or LCD). But the more I think about it, the more I realize my 32" CRT and reliable, inexpensive (but still fun) transportation is all I need. Sorry to sound preachy or whatever, but I'm trying to take my own advice here and shy away from big ticket purchases that'll only cause regret for their incremental, temporary satisfaction.

If you do get a Vette tho, I concur that the C5 is the way to go until the C6s drop into the high 20's or low 30's. Or as an alternative, a GTO would be my first pick -- cheaper insurance, more practical, newer, more comfortable, "sleeper looks." I test drove an 04 6MT this weekend and was in love.

·
Registered
500 Posts
ferguson_seth said:
z06 or dont bother

Blah. Other than a different suspension the engine is an intake manifold and came away from being an LS6 anyway. Why spend the extra cash when you could do the mods yourself, throw on a blower or heads/cam package and have a faster car for equal or less cost?

BC

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
luckezero said:
Or as an alternative, a GTO would be my first pick -- cheaper insurance, more practical, newer, more comfortable, "sleeper looks." I test drove an 04 6MT this weekend and was in love.
I looked at those yesterday, couldn't stand the looks. I never did drive it though.

·
Registered
973 Posts
All it took was one drive to change my mind. Compared to the Vette, it felt more nimble, plus the cheaper insurance, nicer interior (than the C5), and added utility of rear seats... also the 05s and new 06s even have the 400hp LS2. Well worth test driving, in my opinion. I agree tho, the Vette is much more sexy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
luckezero said:
All it took was one drive to change my mind. Compared to the Vette, it felt more nimble, plus the cheaper insurance, nicer interior (than the C5), and added utility of rear seats... also the 05s and new 06s even have the 400hp LS2. Well worth test driving, in my opinion. I agree tho, the Vette is much more sexy.
believe it or not the selling point for me on the vette was the cheap insurance.

97 eclipse GST = $240/month full coverage
98 C5 LS1 = $110/month full coverage

I was amazed when I heard how cheap they were giving insurance to me. I ended up with a 98 LS1 with 78k miles on it. Pewter, chrome rims, blood red/black interior. Looks very nice. Engine/drivetrain/chassis is solid from what I could tell from driving it today. The only problem is the driver's seat is a bit loose. The dealer agreed to fix it, but I may just put aftermarket seats on.

Maybe I'll sport up some pics alongside my eclipse

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
CharlestonChew said:
I definitely like the way it drives. Very well balanced. Pulls hard all the way to redline. Comfortable and nice interior.
Im a big fan of the C5 and thats saying alot cause I dislike most everything US puts out, even the viper. C5's has nice style a great engine, decent room inside as well but "Nice interior" .... I found that they skimped w/ the interior ie. Radio, ac unit, door controls, shifter. It all looks very rental car like. Just MO dont take offense, again I think the C5 is a beast.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I plan to put some mods on in a month or 2. Do you all know of a good forum for the C5? I searched a bit but couldn't seem to come up with a board like this one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
one of the things that confuses the bejesus out of me is when you start out in 1st gear when you get to 2k rpm or so it says "shift 1 to 4" and locks you out of 2nd gear. But when you get above 2.5k rpm that light goes away and you can shift into 2nd again. I'll have to look into why they designed it like that.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
CharlestonChew said:
one of the things that confuses the bejesus out of me is when you start out in 1st gear when you get to 2k rpm or so it says "shift 1 to 4" and locks you out of 2nd gear. But when you get above 2.5k rpm that light goes away and you can shift into 2nd again. I'll have to look into why they designed it like that.
Fuel economy. If you aren't getting on it, you don't need 2nd or 3rd according to GM. I've heard this is easy to bypass by unplugging the solenoid.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts