MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were looking to setup a turbo in my friends 86 aw11, and so far what he are planning to do are the following:
1) All internals are stock
2) All electronics are stock
3) Will be using a 1.3mm solid copper headgasket
4) Using a ct12 toyota turbo
5) Exhaust manifold will have 1.75 stainless pipings
6) 2.5 inch downpipe and full exhaust
7) 2 inch intercooler pipings
8) 4AGZE fuel regulator

My question what injectors are upgrade from the stock ones?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Supra 290cc would work. Unless you are keeping the boost really low, the stock ECU won't, tho.

·
Registered
266 Posts
2Tone,

I have 6-295cc/[email protected](315cc/[email protected]) green tops with 4-connectors.

I ran them on my 4AGTE they worked fine. I just wanted more duty cycle margin on the top end.

They will drop in your fuel rail but you need to change the connectors. I suspect you will need to recalibrate the MAF for them. I ran them with Megasquirt.

Anyway, I bought them for $50 you can have them for what I paid for them plus shipping which should be cheap if you want them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You should use a thick steel head gasket like an HKS and I would also get ARP head studs. The most important thing when going turbo is keeping everything sealed tight, and feeding it enough fuel. I would use 4agze injectors a bigger fuel pump than stock, and an Apex SAFC to control it all. Just my opinion. Keep us updated with that! Im curious to know how the stock internals take the boost.
Good luck! Hopefully it runs pretty hard.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I agree with ARP studs, HKS or Cometic or TRD head gasket. This is based on 2 blown stock headgaskets stock gaskets with stock bolts, one which damaged a head, the other took out a piston.

·
Registered
65 Posts
yeah supra injectors would work, but then you would really need some kind of fuel management or it will probably run really rich. Wont hurt anything but it might run pretty crappy. Ive seen alot of guys making power using a SAFC. If you are looking to run high boost 7mgte injectors is your best bet at a cheap price.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there any performance difference between a copper headgasket vs metal headgasket? I'm just looking at low boost maybe max of 10lbs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Too bad you can't run an SAFC with the na ecu. I have tried everything, even making a "controler" to drop the voltage of the afm then run it throught the SAFC and then boost it back up. Won't work. As soon as anything but the ecu is hooked to the afm it wil start to spudder and not rev very well.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
ARP head studs...

Should be the FIRST item on the list...

ARP studs have worked great for me, for years, and have worked on Geralds original Twincharged.... both using the STOCK TOYOTA head gasket.

The KEY !!!

ARP HEAD STUDS !!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
You know, I can't help but think that you guys are spending a lot of time thinking about how to keep the head gasket from blowing out when what you should be doing is thinking about proper engine management so that detonation doesn't cause head gasket problems to begin with.

After all, you seal up the head gasket real well and so the extreme pressure spikes from the detonation go elsewhere. Wow, you've got super duper wiz bang head gasket and ARP everything! If only your rings weren't in pieces that'd be a great engine.

I had to learn this the hard way so it's not like I'm just talking out my you know what.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would agree with erwendell's comment about detonation related HG issues. Especially, related to my second failure. There was no doubt too much timing grenaded the HG and cracked the piston.

But, since you have to buy new Head bolts each time you replace an HG spend the extra $$ and buy the ARP studs. I think that upgrade is about $50. No one can disagree that additional clamp load will help sealing.

Pay attention to Squelch's comment as well. He swears by Toyota Headgaskets. I wouldn't use the any old aftermarket headgasket from your local parts store. I believe that there are other performance gaskets that may be better, such as TRD, HKS or Cometic. But as erwendell has stated may not be necessary if you avoid det.

The other thing I am unsure about is how do you avoid detonation completely while tuning a motor for max power?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
"erwendell"
Has an excellent point...
Tuning is a major factor in the longevity of the engine. I personally have done damage from minor tuning errors, that have been time consuming repairs.

So I suppose the "weakest link" theory could be applied here.
You could use the stock head bolts, with anyones head gasket, and when you screw up the ignition timing, it's likley that the head gasket seal will give long before the rings break, or you melt a piston.

Easier to replace the head gasket than the rings... just repete the process until you have passed your tuning learning curve, then graduate to using ARP head studs...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well thats why I said you should use a SAFC but apparently you cant use it on an aspirated ecu. And you shouldnt be detinating motors with less than 10lbs of boost.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
mk1 pimp said:
Well thats why I said you should use a SAFC but apparently you cant use it on an aspirated ecu. And you shouldnt be detinating motors with less than 10lbs of boost.
And.. How would that help?
And.. where did you come up with the 10 psi number? Obviously not from experience running 4AGTE's...

Detonation on the 4AGTE comes from two main points.
Intake charge air too hot and poor ignition timing. If someone blowing them from poor fueling, then they didn't have the skills to be working on the project in the first place.

Fuel is the easy part and the SAFC won't help, extra fuel could help drop the intake temps, but it's just a Band-Aid.

I personally have seen a 4AGTE pop a head gasket on only 5 psi of boost, with proper fueling, but improper ignition timing. I've seem engines fail at 8 psi, proper fuel, improper timing, I've seem them fail at 13 psi, proper fuel, proper timing, intake temps too hot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I wasnt talking about timing I was talking about fuel your right. I was saying you shouldnt be popping motors on on less than 10lbs because of lack of fuel(I thought I read that he was only going to run up to 10lbs) this is what I meant. of course a SAFC cant help with timing you are absolutely right about that. (no need to be a smart a!#). It maybe the easy part but you will be surprised how many people throw on a turbo and then blow it cause they didnt know they needed more fuel, or they put too much fuel and run too rich then wonder why there car runs like crap.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts