MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any ideas on how i could get into my trunk? my car is an 85 but i bought it with 87+ tails.. i had a piece of key and would use plyers so i could get into it.... my trunk pop lever inside the car doesent work. I was trying to get it fixed with a friend and something came up and we put everthing together and closed it..now it wont open with the key piece... any ideas? im thinking of finding a replacement right tail light and just bashing it...

i was just wondering if anyone had a less destructive way..:)
thanks

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
The cable is about a mile long from the lever to the lock assy. It exits the cabin in the engine bay near the cooling fan. You could cut the cable somewhere in the engine bay and try to pull the inner cable with pliers. I do have a RH 87+ tail light if the above method doesn't work :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have the same problem. I'm employing the use of a 2" hole saw behind the license plate... I'll patch it with some rivets and aluminum sheet.

O

·
0 Posts
Had same prob with mine. Took to locksmith. Told me to sit on trunk (200lbs)
while they turned key...opened. :) No charge. :) :)

·
Duck Tape Level
1,331 Posts
Is your cable disconnected at the lever inside the cabin? If so it's pretty easy to hook it back up and pull the lever.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
olddude said:
Had same prob with mine. Took to locksmith. Told me to sit on trunk (200lbs)
while they turned key...opened. :) No charge. :) :)

ha haha i gotta try this one first..

hopefully it wont crack.. its a CF trunk lid

oh and i believe one of the tabs that is holding the cable is loose at the trunk so that it feels loose at the cabin.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You should just unhook the cable from the lever inside the cab and try pulling it, my car does the same thing cause theres too much slack in the line.

·
Original
10,788 Posts
i had to bash thru my lock (89na) with a flathead screwdriver and a hammer, then i bought another lock+key from another member (thanks 86mister2) for i think 5 bucks, and wham, i have a perfectly working trunk lock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts