MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I dont post a whole lot, but this makes me happy enough to do it.

Before:

After:

had the old cut out, and then the shop formed and welded in new metal and gave a quick touch of paint. they had to cut from about an inch below the side light there, down, and then about 1/4 way up the arch

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Very nice. :) I wish more MK1 owners would do this instead of letting the rust get terminal. But that's easy for me to say since I don't have to deal with rust.

Is it me or is there stuff in your paint (above where the rust was)? It almost looks like the skin of a strawberry, with seeds poking out... [second pic]

·
Registered
605 Posts
BryanH said:
Is it me or is there stuff in your paint (above where the rust was)? It almost looks like the skin of a strawberry, with seeds poking out... [second pic]

That are just raindrops reflecting in the flashlight from the camera if you ask me ;)

Anyways, good job! :)

Ewoud | www.aw11.tk

·
Registered
881 Posts
Almost unbelievable. That is some straight up great work. What would be cool is if someone could create some weld in panel sections, so more owners could achieve results like this.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, thats just rain on the side of the car,

I took it to a hot rod shop here locally, figure for something like this they would be able to get the best results. It was 560 or so for the labor, metal, and paint in that area. Definatly worth it since the car is pretty much rust free at this point(that I know of/found)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Bryan, I wish people would as well, but both cost, ability, and liklihood that this is the only problem to tackle makes it impractical if it's too far along. While I'd hope that this is the only rusting spot, it signals that other areas have been hit that are vulnerable; they just aren't showing as badly. A positive note is that if it's taken this many years to start and stays in the same or better climate, the other spots are going to be slower in developing as well. That may prolong any more repair for years, making this a more practical solution.

I had an '87 NA that rusted out from under me. I tried cutting out rust and riveting in metal, but even that only lasted 3 years. I even undercoated and repainted (but not with good 2 part urethane paint). Bondo lasts about as long. Welding in metal wasn't an option with oxyaceylne as my source for welding equipment. I eventually found myself repairing new and stranger sections. The original OEM '87 windshield heaved and cracked due to the improper methods of attachment (don't use the double-sided tape bits to hold it on liek they did then). The front fenders rotted in both the typical spot as well as other low points in front. The bumper bar up front was gone in spots in '02. The seams under the seam sealer were showing rust staining in numerous places. The floor was getting more and more flintstone holes. Rust was getting between the layered pinch weld points and rotting the metal apart. There's no nice solution to this other than to drive it until becomes unsafe and then junk it; the car isn't that rare or a valuable a collector's item to go to the ends of the earth to restore yet. Even media blasting won't find and solve issues of rust between layers of sheetmetal.

It's the source of the rust that has to change, and that is salt and moisture. Driving in climates that salt or climates that have pervasive moisture result in rusting cars. The only way to really stop it is to not drive in places like this or during times of year that cause the salt. I've chosen the latter fate for my nice MR2s.

After saying all this and making it sound awful, nice job tlmotorsports. Get in there and make sure the backside is coated to prevent it from rusting again from the inside!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts