MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just swapped my aw11 with Prime's kit. Everything is plugged in, I feel like the problem lies on my positive terminal wiring. I have a wire from the back of the starter to the battery and one from the alternator to the battery too. Doesn't even try to start, not even a click. Like the ecu isn't getting power? I've new to these engines and cars so all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key to on? Are you getting power to the starter relay?

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts
The ECU is not the problem. It is not involved in cranking.

Is your car originally a manual or automatic? If it is manual, then maybe you are not getting the start signal to the starter relay. I can't tell you any more, because I have no idea what wiring you have changed in the swap. If it was an automatic, then it is most likely the missing neutral switch from the OE transmission.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The ECU is not the problem. It is not involved in cranking.

Is your car originally a manual or automatic? If it is manual, then maybe you are not getting the start signal to the starter relay. I can't tell you any more, because I have no idea what wiring you have changed in the swap. If it was an automatic, then it is most likely the missing neutral switch from the OE transmission.
GEN4s don't need a neutral start switch signal to start. Real odd, auto ECUs don't care as the PRIME harness doesn't have the pin for NSW in place. And manual ECUs never had the clutch start switch.

If the car was auto or manual it won't matter, like you say, ECU doesn't control the cranking.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would guess neutral start. I have a gen4 in my mk2 with an override switch for the clutch. Plug C pin 20. 0 volts to start. 12v will engage the safety. easy way to wire in a "kill" switch but it only disables the starter.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
No check engine light for my SW20 (not AW11), is also no connection at circuit opening relay. You need to have the check engine light come on or it won't crank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would guess neutral start. I have a gen4 in my mk2 with an override switch for the clutch. Plug C pin 20. 0 volts to start. 12v will engage the safety. easy way to wire in a "kill" switch but it only disables the starter.
On pin c20 there isn't anything plugged into the ecu. I'm not good with wiring that's why I bought this prime harness 😭

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The Prime harness doesn't have that pin installed. It doesn't appear to be needed. A guy I know of has this setup and it works fine. A swap I did wiring for started and ran once without this pin but now it's not running. Cranks but no start. Even with putting this pin in place and putting power to it as required, no start. So based on this we can ignore this pin. ECU is throwing a code for crank sensor. Still waiting for the guy to install it so we can try start it again.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
So turns out our problem was the crank angle sensor wire got pinched in the AC bracket bolt and wrecked it. Earthed the circuit to the engine therefore not giving a proper reading to the ECU. The ECU did say there was a problem with this circuit so we were looking in the right right place. Replaced the sensor and wires and it starts.

http://instagr.am/p/B8a-iweH9Sh/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts