MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car began to show what I felt were symptoms of major timing issues. ie: I smelled tons of gas when starting, backfiring at high rpm, bucking now and then on the freeway... Then the car just will not start, gives a flutter but will not start up.

I set the crank at tdc and look at the cam gears... The marks are like 1.5" - 2" off to the left!! Anyone ever seen this!?

Then I look at the plugs and they're gapped at .020!! (I posted about this spark plug thing a few days ago elsewhere on forum)

So I took the tensioner out and turned the cams to where they should be, I put new plugs in and gapped to .027 (as recommended for my 270whp). I even put on the extra new dist. cap I had.

Comments and opinions appreciated...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Triad.: said:
What is your timing set at?
I just put the crank to the factory TDC, took off the tensioner, and set the cam markings back to TDC.

could I have made a mistake in resetting the timing as well?

rotating clockwise, I just lined up the the first of the three dots on the crank pulley to the timing tab's TDC mark. Does this sound correct. I followed the book as best I could...

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
if you have no cat it will backfire once in awhile
my gen2 and my gen3 both did this
make sure your belt didnt jump a touth if it did change the belt
10deg is the stock timing for it
gap should be 0.031 on the plugs or 0.8 in metric

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered a gen3 timing belt, had it installed, switched to Champion Copper Plugs (as recommended by Hux) and gapped to appropriate.027

Things seemed to calm down quite a bit. I have always had an issue with the car running very rich since it was first dyno tuned. Once I have some time and money I'll get it back to a dyno.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts