MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO, after looking for 6 months, I found the cam set up that I wanted.

Gen3 3sge intake cam -> 252 duration / 9.8mm lift
Beams red top exhaust cam -> 244 duration / 9.2mm lift

My goals were mild. 300 rwhp. lots of torque, fast spool, with pump gas built on a budget.

Builds specs are the following.

Here's the specs on the motor.
3s based 2.2L stroker (86.5mm bore, 91mm stroke)
CT27
CP stroker pistons
Polished / lightened / shot peened stock rods
1.14mm cometic head gasket
ACL race bearings
Gen2 head
shimless 1zz buckets on the intake side.
head and block shaved 0.005"each (0.010" total)
stock Intake manifold / TB
Gen 3 electronics.

now check out the cams. I had no idea they had cut outs where the cam doesn't touch the bucket. They are 100% bolt on. I might have to grind the head for the intake side, we'll see, some JDM heads had the extra clearance already, not sure if my 93 JDM GEN2 head has it or not.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Was there a question in there somewhere... or was this just a "this is what im doing" thread?

The cutouts on the lobes are there to reduce friction and improve oiling.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya, no real question, just showing that a Beams exhaust am will be going into a GEN2 3sgte. I don't think it's been done before. this is a new cam combo, and i think it will turn out to be a good street combination. high lift, mild duration cams with a stroked CT27 motor.

If anyone wants to give me their thoughts, go for it. I'm excited to finish it. I'll post pics of the cams in the head in a day or two.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That is a red top beams exhaust cam. It has the same diameter for the seal's running surface. the bore is bigger in the beams, so the seal is different. I'm using a Gen2 head, so i use a GEN2 seal. I have the beams seal here. the bore is much much bigger.

The intake is not a beams cam. It's a GEN3 3sge

cams are the same length, just how the picture is taken.

This is a pic of the Beams exhaust cam seal... it has the same seal inner diameter, just fits in the bigger bore of the beams head. The cams were measured, so i'm 100% sure a GEN2 seal will work. And this was the seal that was pulled from the red top head with this exh cam. cam pully is the same too on the exh side.

so yes, it's a beams cam, and it fits in the GEN2 head! No VVTI on the exh side means 100% drop in!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
If you dont want to know well thats up to you , maybe ill let you install it.

I know the BEAMS BETTER THAN YOU. ITS NOT a Beams camshaft. And i am talking about the exhaust.
It looks different and the dead give away is the number on the cam

Its a GEN 2 CAM

The Beams Exhaust camshaft is 13502‑88560

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Listen,

I have 2 GEN2 3sge cams in front of me. The cam Lobe height on them was mic'd at 1.6924" or 41.4mm subtract the base circle, and you get 8.5mm lift. plus Gen2 3sge cams don't have the cutouts on the bottom of the lobes.

This cam, has a lobe height of 1.6605" Do the same math and You have a lift of 9.27mm Isn't the lift supposed to be 9.2 or 9.3mm on a beams exhaust cam. I'm telling you, it came out of a beams red top just last week. How can you explain the seal and the cam lift then? How else can I prove this to you?

Let's try this. The 4th GEN BEAMS began production in 1997. so that makes this P/N valid. Taken from here -> http://www.beams-redtop.com/history.htm

In 1998 the second beams with duel VVTI was released, (as you know) and I'm guessing that P/N you show above is the cam that can be used with duel VVTI. The black top or Gray top cam.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I reckon maybe you should listen.

The picture i posted is a snip of YOUR picture , get it, ITS NOT a Beams Cam PERIOD.

The Beams RED TOP camshafts FYI have the HEX so as to rotate the camshaft in the middle. Who ever sold it to you pulled your leg :( Sorry FACT

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
Paluce said:
Listen,

I have 2 GEN2 3sge cams in front of me. The cam Lobe height on them was mic'd at 1.6924" or 41.4mm subtract the base circle, and you get 8.5mm lift. plus Gen2 3sge cams don't have the cutouts on the bottom of the lobes.

This cam, has a lobe height of 1.6605" Do the same math and You have a lift of 9.27mm Isn't the lift supposed to be 9.2 or 9.3mm on a beams exhaust cam. I'm telling you, it came out of a beams red top just last week. How can you explain the seal and the cam lift then? How else can I prove this to you?

Let's try this. The 4th GEN BEAMS began production in 1997. so that makes this P/N valid. Taken from here -> http://www.beams-redtop.com/history.htm

In 1998 the second beams with duel VVTI was released, (as you know) and I'm guessing that P/N you show above is the cam that can be used with duel VVTI. The black top or Gray top cam.
Sorry but mandalay is right on!

On that same link you posted go to the redtop information and then go to part and it list the same number for the cam as mandalay posted along with the grey top cam is the same number.

Toyodiy listed that 88460 off a third gen 3sge.

Angel

·
Registered
3,699 Posts

The Red Top EX cam is 13502‑88560
The Black Top EX cam Manual is 13502-88570
The Black Top EX cam Auto is 13502-88571

Dont need any proof at all you have posted the Part Number.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Man sometimes its just so hard. Try to help and get a stick up my arse.
Ask me a BEAMS oem part number and i have it, God knows i have bought every single part as a spare part to build the engine TWICE

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GUYS GUYS GUYS,,,,

the oily dirty cam with the part number shown IS the intake cam. GEN3 3sge intake.

the other, shinny cam is the exhaust cam. with the hex. no part number shown.

SO.... Mandaley is right with the P/N's, but I DO still have a beams exhaust cam. I'll post a pic of the P/N tomorrow.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Ah it's a 13501-88460. Those tricky jap bastards at toyota need to start labeling full partnumbers.
The way you had them arranged in the picture made assume the oily one was exhaust.

Well, it's been fun, guys. I'm off to bed.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes thanks. And tomorrow or real soon I'll post a pic of that cam in a GEN2 3sgte head.

Ok, finially a question in this thread... Am I the only one that thinks it's pretty cool to use a RED top Beams cam in a GEN2 head? :)

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I personally think its a good idea but as everyone says Beams parts a rare.

But a Beams head with the mods you have listed would put it in an even better territory.

Someone is going to do it and i think people will have a totally different view........

1 - 20 of 53 Posts