MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the link to the turbo kit that I made.
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=77933&highlight=homemade+turbo+kit
Here is the link to my previous dyno with the only thing changed is the turbo and S-AFC.
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=73960

My mods are:
50 trim T4, .70a/r turbine
Apexi GTspec Exhaust
Greddy Intercooler
Blitz Intake
Blitz Flywheel
S-AFC(the original ghetto one)
Supra fuel pump

These pulls were done in 3rd gear on a mustang dyno. The lag is fairly large as I dont get 200ft.lbs. of torque until 4400rpm's. But this motor is completely unopened and not even really tuned. I kept the S-AFC at "0" until over 5,000rpm's where I just added in 4%. My AFR's were extremely conservative as I kept it between 10.2 and 10.8 from 5,000rpm's onward. I think with an EMS and proper tune it should put it around 4,000rpm's for 200ft.lbs. This is a corrected dyno and I am at about 4,000ft. above sea level so take that into account. I dont know what that number would be, but I imagine in the 290-300rwhp area on only 17psi with just a few bolt ons. Needless to say, I am extremely impressed with the numbers and very happy with the outcome. For referrence, I dynoed 304rwhp and 260ft.lbs. of torque at 14.8psi. Sure this turbo is about as laggy as a T-67, but it is performing very well at low boost too. All this was done on 91 octane pump gas as well. If any of you Gen3 owners are interested in one of these turbo kits, please email me.
[email protected]

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rascaca said:
Did you really need to put 4% more gas after 5000rpm?
Was not necessary, but I wanted to stay rich since I have no EMS and a way to keep it real safe. So adding in the 4% got me to 10.8:1 AFR at redline. If I left it, it probably would have been mid 11's which is still good, but a little higher than I want to go on an untuned motor where I cant control timing and other things.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Good work.. your engine is very similar to my first.... gen III with AFC and GT30 turbo. Managed a top of 356rwhp. Get an EMS sorted :) Theres plenty of power in various points to be had in the timing

-Tristan

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tristan, what boost level were you at to get 356? Also, what gas were you using? Thanks for the props guys. I can't be happier about an 84HP/64TQ. increase at the same boost level.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
93smgturbo said:
Tristan, what boost level were you at to get 356? Also, what gas were you using? Thanks for the props guys. I can't be happier about an 84HP/64TQ. increase at the same boost level.
20psi on premium pump fuel. I dont advise it.. I wrecked more than one block running the engine like this ;)

also I should mention the pull was halted at around 5000rpm with power still climbing so it could well have gone toward the 375+rwhp mark but I'll never know

Stupid dyno operator :)

-Tristan

·
Registered
876 Posts
not to down your results by any means... but it really seems like you could have done better with a t3/t4 turbo and made considerable more power on pump at the same psi...

·
Registered
555 Posts
He also doesn't have the largest list of mods though OMX, you should also consider no EMS, running rich can hurt his numbers a little bit. Aside from all that, with the minimal mods he's made, he's doing pretty well, but just curious, isn't it about time for some fuel railings or cams? Just wondering ;)

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OMX, you are correct that I could have more power under the curve right now with a smaller turbo. However, my main goal was to have a liveable powerband, which I feel that I definitely have. And also to achieve good numbers at low boost, and I also achieved that. Sure I could have made that much power on a 46trim, .63a/r and had more power under the curve, but I would have been 4-5psi higher and I would be maxing it out. I will be looking for more power in the future and hopefully be able to utilize more of this turbo's potential. This turbo seems to be of similar size of a GT30, or at least when comparing the spool up characteristics. This is "DYE"s dyno on a Gen3.
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=65090

JeffreyO, since I have a Gen3 motor, I dont believe I need a bigger fuel rail. I havent looked into it much, but I think I can drop 850's into this fuel rail and be OK. Also, I already have a Supra pump to support those injectors and these fuel mods will come when I have the money to get a standalone and put them in at the same time. Yes, you can see by the torque drop off that I have pretty much used the usefullness of the stock cams. Bigger cams are becoming very necessary to start making power from this point onward and those are on the list too, once I have the money. As for now until i get those mods, I am extremely happy driving this around. From 4,300-7,300 this car pulls awesome. I only do drag racing, so I cant complain with a 3,000rpm powerband at the stock redline. Once I bump it up to 8,000rpm's with an EMS, a 3,700rpm powerband is more than enough for some good racing.

I dont know how the dyno opertator did it, maybe some of you will know. He went into some part after all the dynoing and told me how my driveability was. He said I was driving around with 140ft.lbs. of torque. Then he said, "Well thats what some lightly modified Hondas get". So, when I say that the lag isnt that bad, or it drives just fine around town thats what that means. When Im off boost and just cruising around, it feels about the same as driving a Civic.

·
Registered
876 Posts
you may want to think about an aftermarket intake manifold as well... not sure if i missed that in your mods list of future mods... but other than that good luck! i actually prefer how my t3/t4 60trim spools. its really not all that exciting when you dont have traction all the time because you have a much smaller turbo. i find that my car is on the verge of losing traction but still just barely maintains it, which makes for a fun ride, especially from about 4300-8000rpm as well. once you get that extra 1000rpm in there, its a lot more fun and a longer ride. youll need to readjust how you drive though... i bounced off my rev limiter 1st thur 3rd multiple times with how fast that damn needle screams up top.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HAHA, agreed about bouncing off the rev limiter. No doubt. When it gets going, speed and rpm's go by in a flash. I also agree about liking to drive the bigger turbo better. I live on one side of a 60 mile canyon and civilization is on the other side, so I frequently drive this canyon that climbs 2k-3k feet and then drops 3k-4k on the other side. When I had my ct20b and I was just trying to maintain speed of 65-70 going up the canyon, it annoyed the crap out of me. For 5 straight minutes, I would be at 2-4psi just to maintain speed. If I accidently moved my foot 1/4", the turbo would start screaming past 10psi and try to accelerate like hell up the road. Yes, this is a great thing but not when you dont want it. With the new turbo, it is so much more gradual and my foot actually controlls how much boost I want. The car no longer drives itself, but I feel much more in control of the boost as it actually pays attention to what my right foot is telling it to do. Others have said it and I will say it for the first time. Lag is overrated.

S

·
0 Posts
Man, I wish I had those kinds of numbers out of my car. Make sure you hand some smack talking v8 owners their asses with it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts