MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 na with a gen 2 swap and it has been running well for about a month. I've always smelt gas fumes but thought nothing of them. Recently a friends mr2 has caught on fire so it got me thinking about my gas problem. I didnt see any leaks or puddles, so I searched the boards and came up with a charcoal canister problem.

My problem being i have no charcoal canister, but might have the lines un plugged and gas vented to atmosphere. Problem is, I'm a moron and dont know where the lines are...

I know there are 2 lines on top and 1 on the bottom.
line A - from tank (top)
line B - purge (top)
line C - vent (bottom)

I took some pictures of some hoses i think that might be it, but i have a stuffy nose and cant tell if thats where the gas is coming from...

circled in orange i think that might be line C?

circled in orange again i think that might be line A, it was just hanging there next to the radiator cap.

Just a better picture of where i think the lines are, and those dotted orange lines are the tracings of where the top line goes. It follows back into the fire wall where it is a very very very small diameter tube right behind the drivers seat.

So my following questions are...

1. are those the lines i think they are?
2. can i... Line A + Line C = ok?
3. anything else i can do make the gas smell stop?

Thanks a lot for reading, and i appreciate the help in advance.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
The canister is doing you a big favor by preventing pressure buildup in the gas tank, especially during hot weather. The stock canister is perfectly fine to keep on the car. Why would you want to remove it?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i didnt do away with my canister, the clip never came with one. I hate the gas smell, but i dont want to pay the 50+ dollars for a new one.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
What happened to the one that was already on the car?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the car i swapped the motor into never had a na engine to begin with, it was a shell...

Sorry to sound abrupt, but Mitch, im not ignorant. You keep on asking me questions, and not suggesting any helpful information. If you were to actually READ my first post you would of seen that i didnt have a charcoal canister, but instead you thought i wanted to remove one. So to finish out this reply, do you have anything helpful to type mitch?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Well, in your first post, you are a self-proclaimed moron. I didn't assume that you are ignorant, I merely asked where your canister is, since the clip you bought didn't have one. Your first post mentions nothing about why the target car didn't have a canister.

So, I can add for you. Stop being an ass and go by a used canister.

That's useful advice.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
in all my posts before hand, i said i had no charcoal cansiter. What difference does it make. If i had one, id use one, but i dont. Common sense right?

Mitch i havent calld you names, i post on the board cause i want answers. If i can help someone out, i dont post questions such as, "Wheres the old one?" .... Again, if i had an old one, or just one in general id be using it. I know what the charcoal canister is, so you didnt have to lecture me on keeping one in the first place.

Im a moron cause i dont know where the lines are, but im not ignorant to what the situation is. Im sure you know a lot more tech. then i do on the mr2, but why dont you be helpful rather than redundant.

·
Registered
112 Posts
wow, lets grow up here ladies.... ill have to agree, the charcoal canister is a very nice thing to have and in my opinon is worth the extra 50 bucks. however, if im not mistaken it is not absolutly necissary to have. if you wanted to plug all the lines so you can just drive the car until you get the dough then i guess that would work. i think there is a vacuume hose line the plugs up to the intake manifold too...

-brandan

·
Registered
443 Posts
yeah geez I got suspended for calling somebody a moron! :)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The first pic looks like the drain out of the cannister... the second pic looks like the actual breather from the tank. For safety's sake, plugging the tank breather to the cannister outlet will allow the tank to breathe to a safer place than the middle of the engine bay.. this is how Ive been running mine for a couple of years. slight fuel smell still... the only way you'll overcome that is with the cannister and breather line(s) into the throttle

-Tristan

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
i read on the boards that you can do away with the charcoal canister... you just have to drill a hole in your gas cap, that way it can vent.. Now im not tellin you to do this.. just from what i read on the boards.

·
Registered
323 Posts
do the celicas have the charcol canister... i looked at my friends 5sfe elica and te cannister was no where to be found... how do they by pass this feature???

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
rusiankid said:
do the celicas have the charcol canister... i looked at my friends 5sfe elica and te cannister was no where to be found... how do they by pass this feature???
i dont know about other gens, but my 6th gen(94-99) has one, in the rear drivers side of the engine bay..
a friend of mine who did the swap on his 6th gen doesnt have one in...

TRDeeznuts: i'd say its time to hit the boneyard! :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
flupstar said:
The first pic looks like the drain out of the cannister... the second pic looks like the actual breather from the tank. For safety's sake, plugging the tank breather to the cannister outlet will allow the tank to breathe to a safer place than the middle of the engine bay.. this is how Ive been running mine for a couple of years. slight fuel smell still... the only way you'll overcome that is with the cannister and breather line(s) into the throttle

-Tristan
why not just loop the breather hose to the drain so that it vents to the bottom of the car....then you wont need to drill gas cap....

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the suggestions. I probably will hit up the junk yards, but till then i will loop the tank breather to the bottom vent hose. Appreciate the help guys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts