MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. are there any good, reliable, cheap sites that sell complete gen2 3sgte clips? i figured that theres not much i can do witha gen1, so its time for motorswap.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really.. i have sw21 with 3sgte swap from a 91 mr2t. i thought those were gen1 3s'? so gen3 was when they made the change from running afm then? not 1 to 2?

·
R.I.P. Red
3,906 Posts
mr2xtheelements said:
so gen3 was when they made the change from running afm then? not 1 to 2?
Correct.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ahhh.. my bad.. i was getting mixed up between rev1 and gen2. so then, if my engine is crapping out on me, would it be wiser to get another usdm gen2, jdm gen2, or try to find a cheap gen3? or keep the current motor and upgrade turbo and everything else in it?

edit: i mean, the previous owner already did a lot of no no's to it. im runnin open bov (trying to source a stock one), i have 550cc injectors, and a supra fuel pump(im trying to buy fpr, safc, wideband o2, and dyno tune to somewhat help with the fueling). and on top of that, my car shifts for crap. i mean, if my shift was better, id be able to shave a second off my et's.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bump

·
R.I.P. Red
3,906 Posts
The venting BOV is what is messing up your shifts. You are running rich between shifts and that is bogging down the car.As far as what motor to get that is all up to you. The gen 3 has some good stuff (MAP sensor instead of AFM, you can run open BOV with no ill effects) but it can be hard to find parts. The gen 2 is cheaper. SO its just a matter od how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i guess it could be that.. but its also my tranny. shift 1-2 is always the one giving me trouble. anyways, i decided to stick with a gen2 motor. are tehre differences between the ones in a 91-92 to 93+?

·
Registered
811 Posts
-93 still has the gen2 engine in it I believe, did you change out your tranny fluid? Maybe that will help out with the shifts.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lyer said:
-93 still has the gen2 engine in it I believe, did you change out your tranny fluid? Maybe that will help out with the shifts.
sure did.. even adjusted the catch point on the clutch. still shifts bad. dunno if it is a common thing between 2s. i know the 93 still have gen 2s.. but on some shops.. they sell jdm 91-92 motors cheaper than 93 jdm motors. i was thinking that there might be some minor differences between the 2?

·
R.I.P. Red
3,906 Posts
Some things I can think off of the top of my head are, The 93 has a larger throttle body inlet, The throttle body itself is different, the 93 has a 9 bolt exhaust manifold that helps control warping compared to the 91-92's that only have the 7 bolt. IF i can think of anything else I will let you know\.

·
Registered
20,020 Posts
SrADavidson said:
Some things I can think off of the top of my head are, The 93 has a larger throttle body inlet, The throttle body itself is different, the 93 has a 9 bolt exhaust manifold that helps control warping compared to the 91-92's that only have the 7 bolt. IF i can think of anything else I will let you know\.
93 also has thinner plug wires -- different valve cover (for support dowl) and t/b support "dowel", different plug on knock sensor, late 93 has different oil press and water temp (gauge) connections, different FP relay and injector resistor pack connections, electronic speedo drive, slkightly different wiring to the ECU, transmission has dual synchros and steel shift forks w/LSD standard (Japan -- US was optional sometimes)

basically there are only subtle differenced from a 91 and a 93 engine -- longblocks basically the same in most cases.

for the trans use some Redline shockproof heavy weight trans fluid -- should work wonders to improve shifting and feel

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
interesting.. i used some penzoil synchromesh.. helped a little.. gonna try and find some redline though. so, if im already a turbo swap, and i get an engine set with just engine, tranny w/ lsd, ecu and harness.. would having no lsd right now effect anything? like, would i have to get parts from an mr2 clip that has lsd?

·
Registered
20,020 Posts
mr2xtheelements said:
interesting.. i used some penzoil synchromesh.. helped a little.. gonna try and find some redline though. so, if im already a turbo swap, and i get an engine set with just engine, tranny w/ lsd, ecu and harness.. would having no lsd right now effect anything? like, would i have to get parts from an mr2 clip that has lsd?
1) if you need Redline fluids i carry it here most times ;)

2) if getting a motorset w/LSD trans and you do not have LSD currently the only thing you will need besides engine/trans would be the LSD axle stub shafts -- everything else pretty much interchangeable

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
sab0276 said:
mr2xtheelements,
Are you still looking for an S-AFC?

-Scott
sure am.. cant believe its still for sale! mmm.. ill see how much i have tomorrow and email u or something :thumbup

hey mister3.. i havent realized it until now that u work for chicoracing.. i was looking at the rear clips they r pretty cheap compared to other shops. how much would a motor set and shipping from u guys be? 89031 las vegas.. also.. if i bought from u.. how much would lsd axlestub shafts be?

·
Registered
20,020 Posts
mr2xtheelements said:
sure am.. cant believe its still for sale! mmm.. ill see how much i have tomorrow and email u or something :thumbup

hey mister3.. i havent realized it until now that u work for chicoracing.. i was looking at the rear clips they r pretty cheap compared to other shops. how much would a motor set and shipping from u guys be? 89031 las vegas.. also.. if i bought from u.. how much would lsd axlestub shafts be?
email me on this [email protected] -- if it was a LSD clip it would include the axle shafts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts