MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone tell me what's the difference in the Gen I block vs a Gen II. I need a block (really just the crank) and a friend of mine has a 3sgte out of a 88 Alltrac. I did a search and didn't find much.

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hiboost2

VGM

Can anyone else help me? :confused:

S

·
0 Posts
Dont the gen I's come with less hp? I think they got like 180 instead of 200hp, I dunno, check on that, Im a n00b myself

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Go to alltrac.net, The head is different, The motor made less HP (190 HP),
Nobody makes aftermarket cams for them due to difference in the head
(2nd generation uses shims under the cams but 1st generation uses something
else). Motor also had a small WTA intercooler that is too small for higher HP
also. Basically they are a hard sell, even to alltrac owners.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
did the gen I 3sgte only come on all tracs or on mr2s as well. cause i know JDm 89-93 came with GEN II and 94-97 came with GEN III :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need t know about the block? The crank in particular.
;)

I when to Alltrac.net and couldn't find anything either

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Crank has different bolt spacing on flange, same as a camry, also has different oil cooler mounting. has mechanical rather than automatic cam belt tensioner, heads tend to crack under the intercooler mounting foot (I had two both cracked in same place.) I think theis is only a problem with a top mount ic. The heads can flow real well if ported just like a gen2. The shims are shim over like a gen 2, but the shims and buckets are the same as a 4age and smaller. There ARE aftermarket cams ATS has three different grinds. The rods are weak in a gen 1 too, not beefy like a gen 2.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts