MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the engine out after having bad timing due to me, now the timing is perfect but now it wont even try to start. It's got fuel and spark and my compression was 140 with the timing being totally off. Is there a common reason this happens? Vacuum lines or something? My guess is 2 little vaccum lines that connect to a sensor on the back of the intake, one goes to the return like valve thing and I have no idea where the other one goes. Any ideas? Anything helps

·
2,319 Posts
Are you actually getting spark?

This sensor is brown? It's for fuel pressure up and one goes to the fuel rail. I don't think this will stop it starting but it could make it run poorly as it's a vacuum leak.
Try this link.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you actually getting spark?

This sensor is brown? It's for fuel pressure up and one goes to the fuel rail. I don't think this will stop it starting but it could make it run poorly as it's a vacuum leak.
Try this link.
Yes the sensor is brown, how ever I have spark gas and compression I just checked all for the 3rd time, the vaccum diagram did help a lot however on my car it's a little bit different really at a loss here

·
2,319 Posts
It will be a bit different depending on what was done. That's the factory setup for when it was in the Caldina.

It's not actually a sensor to be technically correct. It's a VSV or vacuum switching valve but I don't think this is a major problem.

Are you able to read any codes from the ECU?

The crank needs to be set as per this video at around 39:50.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will be a bit different depending on what was done. That's the factory setup for when it was in the Caldina.

It's not actually to sensor to be technically correct. It's a VSV or vacuum switching valve but I don't think this is a major problem.

Are you able to read any codes from the ECU?

The crank needs to be set as per this video at around 39:50.
Yup this Is my problem, I was reading a forum and they said that this is the correct crank timing mark where the little dash is, it is not lmao so frustrating

·
2,319 Posts
The image I posted is a snip from the video but I see you've posted a similar one in another thread (one of many ;)).
The arrow next to the crank pulley and dot on the crank pulley need to line up.

The oil pump I speak of is the whole aluminium front cover. I know the actual pump gear is over to the left with the oil pump pulley.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The image I posted is a snip from the video but I see you've posted a similar one in another thread (one of many ;)).
The arrow next to the crank pulley and dot on the crank pulley need to line up.

The oil pump I speak of is the whole aluminium front cover. I know the actual pump gear is over to the left with the oil pump pulley.
Yes I apologize about the many posts, I'll try to limit the number. So I got my timing correct double checked by 2 of my friends, amateur mechanics like my self. Got the engine back into the car and tried to start it, it wouldn't start at idle speed but with throttle it fired right up, however there is still some kind of misfire because the engine shakes pretty bad and from what I've seen they run fairly smooth and not very shakey. My suspect is my iac or something causing a good sized misfire. Any ideas?

·
2,319 Posts
The swap I've been working on didn't idle so I suggested to the owner as a temp fix to adjust the throttle plate stopper screw just so he could bleed the coolant and get other things in place. It should only be a temp fix as the IACV should be able to control it just fine. It's been hard to test that car is I've not had time to do anything with it myself for a long time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts