MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Technically you shouldn’t need a oil catch can so start with the PCV valve replacement and if that fixes it THEN install the catch can. If it doesn’t the catch can won’t help with the issue.

I can’t see there being any issues with leaving it until you want to swap the turbo. Oil is leaking past the turbine and then burning off in the exhaust causing the blue/gray smoke. I guess it could potentially build up on an o2 sensor, cats and exhaust but I don’t know how long it would take to actually notice any negative effects. It’s not your motor smoking it’s your turbo. But maybe someone with more knowledge can confirm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Technically you shouldn’t need a oil catch can so start with the PCV valve replacement and if that fixes it THEN install the catch can. If it doesn’t the catch can won’t help with the issue.

I can’t see there being any issues with leaving it until you want to swap the turbo. Oil is leaking past the turbine and then burning off in the exhaust causing the blue/gray smoke. I guess it could potentially build up on an o2 sensor, cats and exhaust but I don’t know how long it would take to actually notice any negative effects. It’s not your motor smoking it’s your turbo. But maybe someone with more knowledge can confirm.
No cats on this car. Have you seen/are aware of this?

Why turbos leak oil into the exhaust - With Pics!!

I'd imagine the CT15B (or any turbo) has a similar oil drain hole that is susceptible to getting clogged with coked oil. I'm wondering if it's worth disassembling the turbo to investigate - that writeup makes me thing that due to the extreme intermittent nature of the issue, it's not that the turbine seal is bad, but rather the turbine seal is intermittently seeing pressurized oil when it shouldn't be (i.e. meaning an oil drain path is blocked/partially blocked).

While I have a ton of experience with motors, I have next to none with turbos - this is a whole learning experience. Is there any reason why I shouldn't disassemble the turbo to investigate and depending on my findings, reassemble it after cleaning with the same components (bushings, carbon seal rings, thrust bearings)? I'm having an extremely hard time finding a rebuild kit for the CT15B.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts